Can yeast starter be made in the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elayman

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my first batch of Kolsch Ale tomorrow and I am going to make the yeast starter now. I'm wondering if I can just make the starter and put it in the carboy so that I don't have to move it and risk contamination. Then when the wort is cooled tomorrow, I can pour it over the yeast.

Thanks for your help.

elayman said:
I'm about to brew my first batch of Kolsch Ale tomorrow and I am going to make the yeast starter now. I'm wondering if I can just make the starter and put it in the carboy so that I don't have to move it and risk contamination. Then when the wort is cooled tomorrow, I can pour it over the yeast.

Thanks for your help.

You probably could, but contamination concerns wouldn't be a valid reason. There is very little risk of contamination in the starter, particularly if you are boiling in the flask. What I would be more concerned about is pitching too warm of wort onto the yeast. Wort rarely leaves the kettle at the ideal pitching temps.

You probably could, but contamination concerns wouldn't be a valid reason. There is very little risk of contamination in the starter, particularly if you are boiling in the flask. What I would be more concerned about is pitching too warm of wort onto the yeast. Wort rarely leaves the kettle at the ideal pitching temps.

The reason I asked was also because I do not have a flask/beaker. If I use my thermometer to measure the wort temps, will I be OK? And 70-72*F is the best temp?

I agree with Bottlebomber... but if you're certain your wort is the right temp (65ish will work), go for it!

I am a noob so I hope you can steer me in the right direction. Why is it so difficult to measure the temperature of the wort before adding it to the carboy?

elayman said:
I am a noob so I hope you can steer me in the right direction. Why is it so difficult to measure the temperature of the wort before adding it to the carboy?

Difficult? If you're chilling in your kettle, it's as easy as sticking a sanitized thermometer in there.

elayman said:

It's not difficult to measure, it's difficult to obtain. Many people use a water bath or fermentation chamber (or just letting it sit in a cold room) as a means to getting the wort to pitching temps. Now that I am thinking about it though, a starter in a carboy is LESS sanitary, because of the headspace and exposure to air and the wild yeast and bacteria that are inevitably floating around in it. You don't need a flask, but you could probably get by with a quart canning jar or even a Ragu jar as long as you clean it well and boil it, or at least sanitize. Then just boil your starter in a pot, and pour the boiled wort into the jar. Wrap aluminum foil over the top, let it cool, and pitch. Keep the foil on.

funny you say that... two weeks ago we had a party and depleted safeway's stock of carlo rossi sangria (~8-10) jugs haha. we didnt save any of the jugs though

Pity, it would be nice to have 5 one gallon "carboys" to split 5 gallon test batches. 5 yeasts, 5 fruits etc.

Did you mix the sangria with fruit juice/sprite/etc or have it straight? Well done on killing 10 gallons of the stuff in one night. :rockin:

haha yeah it would have been cool. We mixed it with some sprite and cut orange. That was just one of the themed rooms haha.. we had some kegs, whiskey & coke, and more. :drunk:

Back