Questions from a total newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cainepolo12

Reaction score
Hello all- I am getting ready to brew my very first batch of homebrew and have a few questions? I have celiac but am tired of drinking bad beer so I am going to make my own. I like darker beers like ales, porters, and stouts. Are these possible to make using gf ingredients? Would you recommend using the sorghum or brown rice extracts? I'm not a huge fan of the sweetness of the sorghum beers like Redbridge. Can someone recommend any recipes that are good for a first-timer? Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Thank you!

Well mate, not only are dark beers possible, they are actually easier than lighter beers! But you've got to be willing to do some work on your own. To start off, I'd recommend my No-Nonsense Stout recipe, which you can find here:

http://beyondbarley.blogspot.com/2012/07/no-nonsense-oatmeal-stout.html

If you need help adapting it to a 5-gallon recipe, let me know. If you want something more involved, I made a Russian Imperial Stout recently that is absolutely mind-blowing...but the recipe requires quite a bit more work.

Thank you, that it good news! Do you happen to have an ale or porter recipe you would recommend? I am going to be sharing this first batch with a relative that is not a stout drinker, but the stout seems like an ideal second batch. I'm not opposed to the work because it's the best way to learn. Is there a place where I can learn all of the techniques and terminology (I.e. flameout) and ways to keep your temp at a consistent 150 F?

Welcome to the hobby. First "ale" is not a specific style of beer like stout, porter, brown or bitter, all I have just listed are ales. There are ales and lagers, they differ due to the yeast strain use and the manner in which they are fermented.

Would recommend picking up a copy of Palmer's book "How to Brew" it is where many of us started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let the learning commence! I will definitely pick up the book. I think it is exactly what I was hoping to find. Thanks

Eh...I've found most books on how to brew are rather useless for homebrewing unless you are actually going to try to get conversion from grains. And if you do you can join the small club of those who have succeeded. (NOTE--it CAN be done, it is just hard). Somewhere out there are 2 pdfs by Andrew Lavery on how to brew gluten free. I'd download those and read them and read up some on hops and how they work and save your money from not purchasing the book and buy some sorghum!

I haven't had it but the dual spires black lodge ale (dark ale) looks good. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/dual-spires-black-lodge-ale-345633/

Latest posts

Back