Grape cider =/= wine ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I've read of a few people making grape cider, but stating that it is a cider, and not a wine. Why wouldn't it be a wine? Or is it "a cider maker's thing, and I wouldn't understand"?

I've read of a few people making grape cider, but stating that it is a cider, and not a wine. Why wouldn't it be a wine? Or is it "a cider maker's thing, and I wouldn't understand"?

I think Cider is just apple or apple plus other fruit with a lower ABV. :mug:

I'm going to attempt a "grape cider" and I'm only categorizing it as that because I'm going to follow my same recipe for my simple apple cider. I'm using the same brand of juice (Hansens 100%) and adding grape juice concentrate to it. That's all.

Generally, cider refers to fermented apple juice, while fermented pears are called "perry". "Mead" is fermented honey/water.

"Wine" is just about any fruit juice that is fermented, but usually people think of grapes or grape juice unless specified.

Got it! So when I read people who say grape cider, there meaning a grape flavored cider not a cider from only grapes.
Not sure why that one stumped me.

I've been planning to make a "grape cider"... by which I mean a grape wine that is ~5-7% ABV. OP - what did you mean by "grape cider" ?

Back