Home brew for newbies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismcdaniel3128

Reaction score
Hi
I've finished up a few brews, thought they have turned out great. But most of my beer drinking buddies are stuck in the anhueser busch, miller, world and I was wondering what, home brew could help to bring them out of the dark side?
Thanks

Start them on something clean and easy to drink. Kolsch is a great jumping off point for BMC drinkers.

Though I've never made it I hear that this brew is great for BMC drinkers.

Start them on something clean and easy to drink. Kolsch is a great jumping off point for BMC drinkers.

Though I've never made it I hear that this brew is great for BMC drinkers.

Both are great suggestions and good gateway beers. I have brewed them both and most non craft beer drinkers ask for "another". But if they don't that's more for you.

One of the questions I have on doing the bmc clone is that most of what I've read has said they are the hardest to do, why, the post usually says because there is such little flavor to hide behind, I understand that, but if my sanitation is good what else should I worry about

Also on bier munchers cream ale I noticed he used an ale yeast, aren't most bmc's lagers, or can do you get the clean taste with either

You are not going to do a BMC clone. There'd be no point. You want to make a full-flavored great beer, but one that is inline and agreeable to their palate.

As for the yeast, there are several ale yeasts that are very neutral, and with the right circumstances are great for making pseudo-lagers.

If you have a cold cellar or other area to ferment a lager, go with a basic pilsner. Otherwise a cream ale, the aforementioned kolsch, or other very light style (some bmc drinkers really get into commercial hefeweizens, for example).
Make 'em some chick beer and call 'em Sally.

I already know they are sallys, I couldn't get them within 10 feet of a real beer, and one of my first splurges was a fridge, to keep proper temps, I'm already brewing in the basement. It seemed like most of what I gleaned from the month of reading this forum and, multiple home brew books, was temps and sanitation. I appreciate all the input and I am going to try the bmc clone, with extract, with the ale yeast one batch, and a lager in another thanks again

Dude you are never going to convince a non beer drinker to accept homebrew. If you do it's not going to be because you cloned a bad beer. Make the beer you love, offer it to them with no caveats.

You are casting pearls before swine. Don't stoop to their level.

That said, brew a mellow old time IPA ( as in Bass Ale, not DFH 90) or bitter.

Oh they definitely drink beer, just it's the bmc variety, and I may not be able to brew something they like, but if I can, feather in my cap. And I'm definitely not going to stop brewing the beers I like, just trying to spread the interest in hb. Side note would safale 05 be considered a clean fermenting ale yeast.

If your going to use extract you could just buy a kit. Northern Brewer's Cream Ale would be good first step up from what they are used to drinking. It will have a little more flavor, including hops. That said, a lot of BMC drinkers have been won over by something like Northern Brewer's Caribou Slobber. It looks dark but it has a refreshing malt flavor with balanced hops and no bitterness...very easy to drink.

Oh they definitely drink beer, just it's the bmc variety, and I may not be able to brew something they like, but if I can, feather in my cap. And I'm definitely not going to stop brewing the beers I like, just trying to spread the interest in hb. Side note would safale 05 be considered a clean fermenting ale yeast.

s-05 is a great clean fermenting yeast when held at 60f for the duration of brewing.

Back