Boiling off to much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
Lately Ive been noticing that my batchs that are suppose to be 5-5.5gals are coming in at 4-4.5 gallons. Is this do to a hotter boil or what? Ive been doing partial mash kits from AHS. Also does this effect the FG b/c mine is always on the low side?

Boil-off is the most likely factor.

Partial mash could also be a factor. One thing it took me time to figure out when going to partials from extract plus specialty grain is that extract has a lot volume. If I took 5.5 gallons of water, added 6lbs of LME, and boiled for an hour, I ended up with a post boil volume of just over 5 gallons. When I went to partial mashing, I was initially doing the same thing and landing just under 5 gallons because I was losing half the volume of the LME I was adding in a full extract batch. I had to add that volume back in as mash water to get my post-boil volume right.

That wont effect OG?

Sure it will but the recipe was designed to finish with 5 gallons. If your finishing with only 4.5 gallons then your OG will be skewed high. Adding more to the preboil will get your post boil OG and volume to where it belongs.

Back