First time keggine problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I have had the stout on tap since Saturday and still cannot get it to carb up! I have played the pressure game of doing the super boost with shake and also just letting it sit for a few days at what should be the normal pressure. It generates a little head but does not seem to get bubbly at all.

The beer is a stout so I don't want it too bubbly. It is at about 44*f. I have tried letting it sit at 30lbs over night and did a lot of shaking. It seemed to be comming out of the tap with such force that it created a head that quickly disapated. I then turned it down to 10 for three days and now it pours out better but has almost no head and no bubbles...

This is my first kegging attempt and I currently have nothing bottled - I'm out of homebrew!:(

I have three corney kegs and have a fruit beer that will be ready to keg in about a week and a weizenbock in about a month. I'm looking forward to getting all three going at the same time.

If your force carbing at normal pressure it takes 2 to 3 weeks to carb. I never tried the high pressure shake method but hear its dangerous due to the fact that it's easy to overcarb. Maybe someone else has more experience in that method.

Are you using co2 or beer gas with your stout?

It sounds to me like you just didn't give it enough time at normal pressure and temperature for it to carb up. ( aside from the 30 psi overnight shaking ) that I know nuthing about.

I am using CO2. What is beer gas? I have heard about nitrogen systems for stouts - sounds cool but right now I want to keep it simple.

Relax dude, set it at about 12 psi and leave it for another week. Quit shaking your keg, you'll never get anything to settle out that way.

Beer gas is a mixture of N2 and CO2. Used to acheive high pressure at stout tap without overcarbing. If you were using it by mistake at regular pressures it would explain why you weren't carbing at high pressures. but if using co2, i agree with shrewd. It just needs more time under pressure at the appropriate temperature. Make sure you check it agiainst a keg carbing chart. And if you add pressure, do it in small increments 1 psi at a time. Overcarbing is the worst... takes days or week to get back to normal. Thats the bigges lesson ive learned kegging.

So there is no real shock and awe method of force carbing that will allow me to have this ready for Sunday?

if you want it ready by saturday, yeah you can crank it to 30psi and shake the crap out of it.

but regardless, you're gonna have to drop it down to ~10psi for serving, or you'll have a beer-firehose

Above sticky says to set it at 30 psi for 24 hours and reg pressure for a day or so after. It recomends not shaking due to common overcarbonation problems. Thats no fun I assure you.

How long are your tap lines? It sounds like you've over carbed it, and are dispensing at too high a pressure for teh tap line, so it really pours too fast, knocks too much CO2 out of solution.

Try turning it down to like 4 psi, purge the pressure down to 4psi, and see what the pour is like. shouldn't be as foamy and i bet it tastes too bubbly.

Back