Light, fruity, refreshing pale ale for the wife?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
I've read some reviews of Coppers Sparkling Ale, and that seems about in the range of what I'd like to brew. Just something crisp, fruity, not overly bitter and something that women might like. Does anyone have any all grain suggestions? Thanks,

Ben

just something crisp, fruity, not overly bitter and something that women might like. Does anyone have any all grain suggestions? Thanks,

Ben

I'd go with an IPA, myself, so maybe I'm not much in tune with what "women might like".

What kind of beer does she like? Maybe brew that style?

Well she likes Bud Light and Corona of course, and I don't want to undertake an adjuct lager. I think I could get her to drink a pale ale thats not too bitter. Thats what I'm aiming at anyway.

Try fermenting with Wyeast 1388, the Duvel yeast. It throws a little pear aroma into the mix and ferments dry but gives some Belgian-yeast character (not a lot).

My suggestion: Start with mostly Pilsner malt beer, maybe some standard 2-Row, add some instant rice (20% maybe) and a touch of light Crystal (10% or so), mash at 147 for 90 mins. Do a 90 min boil adding about 25 - 30 IBU worth of Warrior (shouldn't be much) at 60 mins. Add some Amarillo at 15 mins for about 5-ish IBU and add some more Amarillo at 2 mins. Ferment for a week using 1388. Add some amalyse enzyme (NOT BEANO!) and let it go an additional couple of weeks. The AE will dry it out, reminiscent of a BMC lager but with more character.

You should get a mix of a pear / citrus nose along with a some citrusy / orange-like flavors and a very crisp / dry beer. Bitterness is mild-moderate, about like a mild US Pale. Malt is not really an issue but above your BMC style of beer... I'd probably keep it in the 6% abv range to minimize any booze-notes you would encounter.

I've never had any inclination to brew belgians so I do not know the profile of the exact yeast barc is referring to. I personally do not like belgian beers.

I have found that Wyeast 1272 Am Ale II does lend a slightly fruitier profile than any other neutral ale yeast.

Follow his grain and hop bill, but personally I would use the 1272.

Brew a witbier chicks seem to be digging them as of late ...that or im awesome!

I would highly reccomend a Patersbier, very easy to brew, very easy to drink. In fact I recently took first place with it in the belgian specialty category for a competition here in Ga ....
I shared it with a friend and his wife and was told "don't take this the wrong way, but this would be a great beer for women, It's just so light" .... Anyways I got a laugh out of it.

I've never had any inclination to brew belgians so I do not know the profile of the exact yeast barc is referring to. I personally do not like belgian beers.

I have found that Wyeast 1272 Am Ale II does lend a slightly fruitier profile than any other neutral ale yeast.

Follow his grain and hop bill, but personally I would use the 1272.

Try a Duvel. You may be surprised to find you like Belgians. :) It is probably one of the mildest yeasts you'll find out there but, Duvel itself, packs a wallop.

I've read some reviews of Coppers Sparkling Ale, and that seems about in the range of what I'd like to brew. Just something crisp, fruity, not overly bitter and something that women might like. Does anyone have any all grain suggestions? Thanks,

Ben

I'm a fan of Cooper's Sparkling Ale. I have never brewed it but Jamil Zainesheff did a show in the Brewing Network where an Australian homebrewer talked about cloning it. Go to brewingnetwork.com, take the link for Jamil Show and search for "sparkling". The recipe was fairly simple as I recall. The keys are a high carbonation level and getting the right yeast. They talk about that in the show, the guest was adamant that the coopers yeast (eg that comes with their kits) is not the right yeast and you need to grow it up from a bottle.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. BTW, you should be able to find a Cooper's Sparkling if you live in the US. I see it at most of the stores I buy beer at and every Outback Steakhouse I have been to has it in the bottle.

I would highly reccomend a Patersbier, very easy to brew, very easy to drink. In fact I recently took first place with it in the belgian specialty category for a competition here in Ga ....
I shared it with a friend and his wife and was told "don't take this the wrong way, but this would be a great beer for women, It's just so light" .... Anyways I got a laugh out of it.

Is there anyway you could post a recipe?

WHAT DOES SHE LIKE?

SWMBO likes my latest ESB, it is a hair on the bitter side, even for an esb, but she likes it.

She also loves roasty stouts.

Your endeavor sounds like the kind that will end with you brewing the finest fruity pale ale(?) ever, and having her say "OH!, It's lovely.......but....well.....I prefer baltic porters....."

Random shots in the dark: Look at biermunchers centennial blonde.
That can be a chick beer. Or a hefeweizen/wit. Also beers for the ladies who don't like hops.

Those beers are always the team favs (all women). I bring IPAs for myself (I'm like Yoop on that regard) and for our male fans.

Is there anyway you could post a recipe?

Patersbiers vary. The simplest form would be Pilsner malt mashed low, German / European hops for bittering and flavor (not too much aroma, if any), Belgian yeast (Trappist for the most part).

lschiavo had a very nice patersbier that I tried a couple of weeks ago. Maybe PM him for the recipe? It was very nice, and I think it's going to be in the rotation at his house.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Patersbier
Brewer: Jonathan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.5)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.58 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.00 oz Tradition [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.4 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 10.35 qt of water at 158.9 F 147.0 F

Sorry took so long to reply, very simple, I've enjoyed it a lot ...

Northern Brewer has a great Patersbier kit that is very good. Light & refreshing with a hint of Pear taste. Its a great Belgian Lawnmower beer!!!

Back