Is your beer more like Bud Light or Miller Lite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We had some workers in our house tonight cleaning up some water damage (don't ask) who saw my kegerator. When told that I brew my own beer, this was their question. My wife tried to explain that I brewed ales with somewhat more flavor than BMC, but without much success.

I try not to be too much of a beer snob - I mean Miller Lite is fine if that's what you want. I'll pass, thanks. But it does seem like if you drink beer, you should at least be aware that other types exist.

Anyway, I got a chuckle.

Heh... Neither. Mine does not give me a headache (bud*), and it has flavor (unlike miller lite). I just had my windows replaced. The crew did not like my homebrew. Maybe pale Ale was the wrong thing to offer?

It's nuts how little people know about beer. I've run into it on more than one occasion. I once tried to explain to someone, who has probably spent half their life in a bar, that beer contains hops. You'd think they'd at least read the occasional label.

It's nuts how little people know about beer. I've run into it on more than one occasion. I once tried to explain to someone, who has probably spent half their life in a bar, that beer contains hops. You'd think they'd at least read the occasional label.
I think I always knew there were hops in beer - but I had no idea what they did. My first hoppy beer was a Goose Island IPA - I liked it a lot, but even then I had to be told. It wasn't until I stuck my nose in a bag of hops that I really understood.

Maybe if we all carried a bag around with us, offering sniffs to people on the street ... nah, we'd probably get busted.

if my beer tasted like bud or miller light, I'd dump the whole batch and start over :D

Thats hilarious. Don't tell anyone this, but back when I used to manage a pub, I frequently tapped Miller Light kegs under the Bud Light banner and vice versa. Some nights I would have aggressive drinkers of ML (or BL) that would run the kegs out and I just kept the beer flowing; only I knew it was really BL (or ML). I did this for years and nobody complained once even though I saw people having arguments about how each beer had distinct taste differences....

Thats hilarious. Don't tell anyone this, but back when I used to manage a pub, I frequently tapped Miller Light kegs under the Bud Light banner and vice versa. Some nights I would have aggressive drinkers of ML (or BL) that would run the kegs out and I just kept the beer flowing; only I knew it was really BL (or ML). I did this for years and nobody complained once even though I saw people having arguments about how each beer had distinct taste differences....

HAHA that is absolutely awesome. I hate it how BMC drinkers are so defensive and passionate about THEIR beer, but at the same time can't identify THEIR beer in a blind taste test.

Oh yeah, people would come in demanding only BL and refusing to drink ML. I had the last laugh on that one plenty of times...:)

I find that hard to believe...I don't think I could tell the difference between Miller and Coors, but I could definitely tell the difference between either of them and Bud Light. Well, maybe not if you were serving it at near ice temps...

What do you have on tap currently? Anything worth offering them a small taste of? My father in law is a Bmc guy, and he will politely drink 1, but its pretty obvious that that its lost on him. My dad is a little more 'adventuresome' in his beers, and he really digs some of my stuff. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm SOO glad I got some edumacation on beers and have seen the light. I can still knock down BMCs when necessary, but I see it so much more for what it is. My waistline isn't as happy. 4 beer free weeks start tomorrow. Granted, I have 2 exceptions. 1 night in Cananda for work on Monday and a dinner hosted/sponsored by New Belgium Brewing in about 2 weeks.

Theres a part in Beer Wars that the lady does this. She is in a bar and finds people who are staunch Bud Light, Miller lite, Coors drinkers. She has them blindly taste each one of the three and asks them to pick out their beer. Obviously the movie doesnt show every test, but tons of them got it wrong and were totally shocked. I laughed.

Theres a part in Beer Wars that the lady does this. She is in a bar and finds people who are staunch Bud Light, Miller lite, Coors drinkers. She has them blindly taste each one of the three and asks them to pick out their beer. Obviously the movie doesnt show every test, but tons of them got it wrong and were totally shocked. I laughed.

Yea I watched that just a few days ago, funny stuff

I find that hard to believe...I don't think I could tell the difference between Miller and Coors, but I could definitely tell the difference between either of them and Bud Light. Well, maybe not if you were serving it at near ice temps...

Yeah the kegs were at very cold temps. While I believe that you can tell the difference between BL and ML Light, I don't believe that masses can.

Even as a kid hang outside a store trying to get someone to buy me beer, I still went for the Beck's, Hinnie, Molsons, etc. Never liked the American beers much.

Even as a kid hang outside a store trying to get someone to buy me beer, I still went for the Beck's, Hinnie, Molsons, etc. Never liked the American beers much.

Brew yourself an American Pilsner to educate you're palate as to what an "American Beer" should taste like.

Brew yourself an American Pilsner to educate you're palate as to what an "American Beer" should taste like.

Oh its on the list for sure! I had spent a lot of time in the Northwest, really got into good beer and coffee. :)

20+ years ago there weren't many commercially available good American beers, if any IMOHO)

I'm not surprised in the least by this. There have been so many instances where someone offers me a Bud Light which I kindly refuse. Then they respond snobbishly with "what? you're a miller drinker?" As if it's taboo to refuse a bud. I usually don't even bother explaining that I'd rather drink something with flavor. It baffles me as to how many people will only drink one brand of BMC's as if the differences between them are vast.

When I worked in a bar in philadelphia for two years I learned soo much about beer. Only because the bar I worked at served mainly micro brews. Thats one thing I love about my city, all of the microbrews available. There is ever some companies that can't send any of there beer to the west coast because we take it all!

They can be converted...it just takes the right approach. My dad is a diehard light BMC drinker and a couple years ago hated my beer (mostly pale ales and ipas). Then I began making "malty/er" beer...ie. oktoberfest, brown ales...and slowly but surely he began to love the "flavor" and realized that light BMC beers had a lot to be desired...Now he still drinks the occasional coors light, but would take anything i have on tap first (and I'm back to my IPA ways...)

The key is don't use a Pliny to convert them...start with a balenced smooth beer in the 5-6% range and soon they will hate you b/c BMC will never be the beer they thought it was...:)

on this note...I can definitely taste the difference btw bud and miller but not so much coors vs bud. I would definitely drink a bud/coors light over a miller lite if my arm was twisted...:mug:

duff-beer.jpg

Last night I offered a guy a bells two hearted ale clone I made which came out amazing. His response was hes not a big microbrew guy but if I had anything that tasted like bud light lime he would try it.

He wasnt allowed near the cooler for the rest of the night.

I've only really shared my homebrew with a select few friends and some co-workers during our first friday events. The good thing is that most of us military flyers seem to have good knowledge of beers lol, because I never get a complaint.

Back