Temperature Controllers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
I have now decided that I NEED another fridge in which to ferment my brews. I have nailed everything else but not being able to control ferment temps that well. Getting a fridge is no problem but wanted to get some input on what temp controllers everyone is using. When shopping around, I have noticed that the price range is pretty big $50 to $250. Good and bad opinions needed.

Beer Weavel said:
I use a Johnson Controls analog controller for several years with no problem.

I too am in this camp. I have heard others report that they have (easily) busted the probe. Not an issue for me thus far.

The Ranco ETC-111000 does everything you need and is in the lower end of your price range. eBay is a good place to look for them.

ranco_etc.jpg

BrewmanBeing said:
How exactly are these used to control the temp of a common refrigerator?

You drop a probe into the fridge/freezer and plug the fridge/freezer into the controller's switched outlet. The controller cycles the fridge on/off to maintain temperature within a specified range. You can control the temp within a few degrees at any temperature between the fridge/freezer's lowest temp and the ambient room temp.

With a 2-stage controller, you can also add a heater in the fridge and reach temps above ambient room temp, which is useful if the fridge is in an unheated garage, for example.

A temp control is a must have for brewing in my house, even this time of year I couldn’t keep the fermenter under 73 without one.

I have a real old school t-stat from the 70’s that I put together, works like a champ, I’ll take some pics and post them its pretty sweet and didn’t cost me a dime.

A note about temp probes, never directly submerge them; always use a well. Even “submergible” probes will go bad eventually because of water contact. Use a well into a water bottle and your probe will be working worry free.

I had a “submersible” probe go out on me and caused my beer to freeze, not fun.

Back