What else to do with the OG sample

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I made my Whole Harvest ale Sunday and took a sample for the OG. Since it was a little warm, I left it on the kitchen counter to cool to room temp. Monday morning, it was bubbling away, as was the main fermenter. I decided to leave it on the counter & just watch the gravity drop. Tuesday afternoon, it hit 1.016 and I swapped over to the finish hydrometer. It's down to 3.1 Brix (that's about 1.012) and still bubbling. I'm expecting 1.009 (2.2 Brix).

I expect the main fermenter to lag behind a bit, so I'll check the bulk gravity once the sample stops dropping.

That was my question too. One of Dave Line's methods was to have another small fermenter going of the same beer in order to check it's progress. Never really thought there was much use in it, personally.

I took the sample after pitching. I use buckets with spigots, so that's the easiest thing to do and makes the most sense.

I never saw the point of a using a smaller fermenter either, but other than tasting the original sample what's to do with it except dump it or watch it fizz? We've been having a lot of weather move through, so the airlock on the fermenter is moving up and down like a barometer!

Maybe, but no hurry. Nothing I do at this point will make the beer age faster.

Back