Consumption of beer yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefoxicy

Reaction score
I wanted to know if it was safe to ingest beer yeast, as it'll be present at the bottom of a bottle...

I found a silly vegetarian forum with a thread on the topic.

Washoe said:
specialK12 said:
i read a recipie once it was a health drink with brewers yeast and lethican does any one know of it and have the recipie?
There’s a concoction known as ‘beer’ which matches that description quite nicely.

I wanted to know if it was safe to ingest beer yeast, as it'll be present at the bottom of a bottle...

I found a silly vegetarian forum with a thread on the topic.

Yep, perfectly safe...and even good for you. Some people like to sprinkle brewers yeast on popcorn and put it in smoothies!

Yep, perfectly safe...and even good for you. Some people like to sprinkle brewers yeast on popcorn and put it in smoothies!

I don't know about popcorn, but if you crack open a carbonated bottle and pour it into a glass, you're still going to get some particles in the glass even if you stop before dumping the big white clump at the bottom in. That's my only real concern.

I found the notion of beer as a "health drink" amusing though.

I don't know about popcorn, but if you crack open a carbonated bottle and pour it into a glass, you're still going to get some particles in the glass even if you stop before dumping the big white clump at the bottom in. That's my only real concern.

I found the notion of beer as a "health drink" amusing though.

Not the actual yeast in beer...but the dry brewer's yeast. On popcorn it's actually pretty good, aside from being a horrible waste of beer making yeasties!

At 55 yrs old, my stomach is more sensitive than it used to be for sure. I've been drinking my bottled homebrew for 8 months now and while I've had some er.. digestion probs with the yeast, I'm getting acclimated to it now. I shall persist!
Beerbeque

Down under they do it, and since the yeast has already made beer, it's recycled and green :).

250px-Vegemiteontoast_large.jpg

Back