Does anyone have any info on these pots? JARHILL 96/70 QT Stainless Steel Stock Pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Nyholm

Reaction score
I have been looking for a 15 or 20 gallon pot to brew 10 gallon batches in and the only economical pots seem to be the Concord pots. On a whim, I searched for a 70 qt pot on ebay and came up with an auction for a pair on pots, one was 70 qt and the other was 96 qt for.....$46.99!!!! I figured I would use the 70 qt and save the 90 qt if I ever decide I need to brew a 15 gallon batch. I am wondering the quality. They are saying they are 18/10 stainless and they are just under 1 mm thick. I understand that seems to be a little thin, but I am hoping they are heavy duty enough to withstand many batches (though I will have the spare 96 qt pot! :p )

They also seem pretty tall as opposed to many of the wider pots out there. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-Sets-.../251260889630?pt=Cookware&hash=item3a8050ea1e

Let me know what you think!

BTW, shipping was $34 to NY from their location in AZ.

I'm surprised no one has bought these. They are less than half price of the concords. I'll let you know what I think of them when I get them in a week.

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=970

This is a link that talks about that grade of SS. Looks like if u modify it at all ur best bet is to go weldless, but otherwise I can't say much more about it.

These don't appear to have anything on the bottom to help distribute the heat or thicken the bottom so u may want to consider a false bottom if ur going to use them as a MLT so u don't scorch the grains.

I'd def post back with ur thoughts when you get them.

Smoking deal, 17.5 gallon HLT and 24 gallon boil kettle for under $100 shipped.
I wouldn't hesitate to try them out. Definitely wouldn't try to lift them full and make sure the bottoms are well supported though.

Smoking deal, 17.5 gallon HLT and 24 gallon boil kettle for under $100 shipped.
I wouldn't hesitate to try them out. Definitely wouldn't try to lift them full and make sure the bottoms are well supported though.

That is a scary thought!! Didn't even think about picking up 10 gallons of wort and worrying about the bottom buckling. If they are anything like my current, cheap Williams Homebrewing pot, I think I may be ok.

lol. Homebrew finds tweet.
They look nice and I would buy them if I didn't have 2 pots already.

20$ shippping! Ouch!

I just ordered them. I want to move up from extract to BIAB. Does anybody have any recommendations on what type of valve to use when I port one of them?

I am just going ot get a standard weldless valve for them at the moment since it serves its purpose and is not very expensive (less than $20). I would love to get a thermometer/ball valve, but not really interested in spending the money required to get a quality one ($100?)

I talked with him and he said he is ordering a pallet of 50, 70, and 96 qt pots. The 50s would be great for a standard pot with a lot of room to spare.

I talked with him and he said he is ordering a pallet of 50, 70, and 96 qt pots. The 50s would be great for a standard pot with a lot of room to spare.

Did he mention when they would be available again?

Anyone that received them have feedback on quality?

I'm so bummed I missed the original deal. :smack:

Still haven't recieved mine yet. I'll let you know how they are when I get them. He didn't give an ETA on when he was getting them, but if you keep an eye on ebay, i'm sure they will show up soon. The ebay name is jarhillusa so you can keep an eye.

Got my pots today and they seem to be pretty decent. I would say they are just as thick, if not a little thicker than my Williams brewing pot that I had beforehand. The polish looks really nice and the quality seems nice. The 96 at is HUGE :) I can easily fit my 3 year old inside of it :)

If anyone wants any pics of any part in particular, let me know.

Got my pots today and they seem to be pretty decent. I would say they are just as thick, if not a little thicker than my Williams brewing pot that I had beforehand. The polish looks really nice and the quality seems nice. The 96 at is HUGE :) I can easily fit my 3 year old inside of it :)

If anyone wants any pics of any part in particular, let me know.

Have you brewed with them yet? Are they thick enough to take weldless fittings?

I brewed with one of the pots so far and just used a siphon to get everything out. They seem sturdy enough and I have a weldless fitting to put into it when I get a chance. It should be fine but I am certain it will be a little flexy at the fitting, but my other pot was the same way and didn't have any leaks or troubles.

I did boil water in the pot for about 30 minutes prior to brewing to condition the pot and burn anything off. When I brewed, I noticed the foam seemed grey. I do not know it had something to do with stuff coming off of the pot or not. Also, the sludge line really burned into the pot. I had aluminum before and i am not certain if it is safe to take steel wool to a stainless pot? I couldn't get it off with a regular sponge and it is a bunch of black, hard specks around the boil line.

I brewed with one of the pots so far and just used a siphon to get everything out. They seem sturdy enough and I have a weldless fitting to put into it when I get a chance. It should be fine but I am certain it will be a little flexy at the fitting, but my other pot was the same way and didn't have any leaks or troubles.

I did boil water in the pot for about 30 minutes prior to brewing to condition the pot and burn anything off. When I brewed, I noticed the foam seemed grey. I do not know it had something to do with stuff coming off of the pot or not. Also, the sludge line really burned into the pot. I had aluminum before and i am not certain if it is safe to take steel wool to a stainless pot? I couldn't get it off with a regular sponge and it is a bunch of black, hard specks around the boil line.

DO NOT use steel wool. The steel wool is carbon steel and will impregnate the stainless with iron causing it to rust. Bar Keepers Friend (commonly BKF) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V72992/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 is what you want. Will make it look brand new! :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread necromancy!

Would any owners care to chime in on how they like these pots? Same ebay store now has 96/70/49 pot combos going for $69.99.

I missed out on the roundeyesupply pots when they were at a decent price; these look to be pretty similar. I could buy a few combos and then sell the smaller pots on the cheap to buddies or raffle them off for the homebrew club :p.

I am wondering about these as well. The listing says that they are 410 ss 18/0, which as I understand isn't quite as corrosion resistant. Could that be the dark boil line? This combo and price is almost too good to be true.

Well, throwing caution to the the wind I ordered 3 sets the other day. I'll break them up and keep the 3 largest pots; there's a few local guys interested in the smaller pots.

I'll report back in once I get them.

I bought a set also. I have not brewed or boiled anything in them yet but I'll comment on the thickness.

They feel and seem just as thick and sturdy as the 10 gallon economy pot from Northern Brewer that I've been using for 3 year with over 100 batches and I have no complains about that pot.

I just got a set of these yesterday. I'm planning on using the big one for a boil kettle and the 17.5 gallon one as a direct fired mash tun with a false bottom. The lids are super crappy but the actual pots seem to not be too bad. Especially for the money.

Also, the handles rust since they must not be stainless, but not a big deal. The bottom of my 17.5 warped a little from my burner after 3 batches since something burned on it.

Also, the handles rust since they must not be stainless, but not a big deal. The bottom of my 17.5 warped a little from my burner after 3 batches since something burned on it.

How could something burn on it? Did you fire it dry?

How could something burn on it? Did you fire it dry?

Scorched to the bottom. I think it was my biab as it has turned brown/black in spots. We had to add heat when mashing and usually don't have a problem with the bag getting singed. Looks like this time we added heat too quickly or didn't raise the bag enough

I just bought two sets of Jarhill stock pots and I cannot get the stickers off. I've tried warm soapy water, alcohol, acetone... Nothing works. Any suggestions?

OK, I finally messed around with mine yesterday. These bad boys are big, but hey, that's what we were hoping for!

My thoughts:

1. The handles seem quite solid, but I wouldn't move the pot with them when full.

2. The metal seems a bit thin; it doesn't have a really 'sturdy' feel to it. The thickness is probably about the same as one of my 5 gallon pots. In other words, more than adequate for holding the liquid. On heat transfer, see #3 and #4.

3. On one batch of beer, I cranked my Blichmann burner to full out heat and has zero issues with scorching.

4. On another batch, I used a stainless hop filter and allowed it to rest on the bottom of the pot. Scorching did ensure underneath it. Do not put solid materials on the bottom of the pot! *note: I had the Blichmann at 100% for this as well.

5. Removing the sticker was a bit tricky until I remembered a trick--I dabbed some olive oil onto the sticker, which helps to dissolve the glue's solvent. Then some dish soap took care of the rest, easy peasy.

6. Even on a 5 gallon batch the boil foam reached to 3/4 full.....scary stuff!

7. Boil off with the Blichmann and this pot seems to be about 2.5-3 gallons an hour o_O

The pics attached are for the pot on the Blichmann burner with roughly 5.5 gallons in the pot.

Hope that helps!

IMG_20130915_115021_722.jpg

IMG_20130915_112111_165.jpg

IMG_20130915_111955_451.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! Which pot size is that? These things are still awfully tempting. I wish I could just get 3 of the same size. Has anyone tried measuring their exact capacity? I have heard of other pots being slightly smaller than advertised.

RadicalEd,

Thanks for the tip! The olive oil worked wonders. It's ironic (not in the Alanis Morrisette sense, but in the REAL sense) that I spent so much time trying to remove the stickers when I had 5 gallons of olive oil less than two feet away!

Like all of you, I'm very excited to find Jarhill stock pots. Once I have a decent amount of experience with mine, I will post my comments about them. Even though I'm a soapmaker, dealing with nothing but lye and oil, I hope my comments will be useful.

Do you have any pictures of the rusted handles?

Thanks for sharing the picture! That is certainly intriguing. At least it seems to be only on the outside. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if there is anything you could put on to prevent them from rusting or to cover it up.

Thanks for the pictures! Which pot size is that? These things are still awfully tempting. I wish I could just get 3 of the same size. Has anyone tried measuring their exact capacity? I have heard of other pots being slightly smaller than advertised.

No problem :).

These pics are of the 96 QT pot. I have not measured capacity yet; I am waiting on that until I get a sight gauge installed.

No corrosion yet, but I'll keep an eye on the handles.

I dropped one of the 96 QT pots off at Adventures in Homebrewing (www.homebrewing.org). They are going to make me a custom false bottom for my mash tun (details TBD). That would make it pretty easy for any subsequent folks to get one ordered. I'd contact jason[at]homebrewing.org if you also want one, and tell him that Eddie H sent ya :). (I have no vested interest in this. They're just cool folks that run a great business!)

I got a couple of sets of the 70/96 pots a while ago and have now had the chance to brew a few 5 gallon batches in the 70qt pot. I have not seen any rusting on my pots.

I'm in the middle of building out my eHERMS system and will use 2 of the 96qt pots for the HLT and BK and one of the 70qt pots for the MLT.

As for a false bottom in the MLT, I just discovered that the new 20gal & 30gal MegaPot 1.2 pots from Northern Brewer have the same diameters as the 70/96 pots (45 cm & 50 cm) and they are selling false bottoms for them. So, I may get the 20gal false bottom and see if it fits.

One other thing about these pots that has been mentioned, but deserves reiterating, is that you really got to give them a good cleaning before using. They seem have quite a bit of polishing compound still on them and I ended up scrubbing them out 3 times with BKF to get them clean.

One other thing about these pots that has been mentioned, but deserves reiterating, is that you really got to give them a good cleaning before using. They seem have quite a bit of polishing compound still on them and I ended up scrubbing them out 3 times with BKF to get them clean.

I take it boiling water in them would not be enough?

I take it boiling water in them would not be enough?

I first washed with liquid soap and hot water and then did a boil with water but found I was getting a grey residue film on the surface of the water. So, I went at it with BKF and after that I had no more problems.

Could have just been a issue with the pots I got. Looks like RadicalEd didn't have any problem after a simple soap and hot water scrub. Maybe start with that and a water boil and see if that works.

Back