What is floating in this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrain

Reaction score
I have a 12 pack of Redhook Longhammer and all the bottles have white looking flakes floating at the bottom of the bottle. When poured into a glass they break into finer particles. Any ideas of what it is? Does not look like yeast, plus I dont think Redhood bottle conditions.

IMAG0007.jpg

I have seen an unfiltered wit (which I can't remember the name) and a blue moon (i think it was just old) do that. I don't think tit altered the taste, but it was slightly unsettling.

Seanana said:
I have seen an unfiltered wit (which I can't remember the name) and a blue moon (i think it was just old) do that. I don't think tit altered the taste, but it was slightly unsettling.

"IT" not tit!! Stupid iPhone!!

wheat beers or any bottle carbonated beer will have that after fridge time. Try pouring slower at 1st. And don't pour hard enough to get the ol' glub glub sound. Those two things will crack the yeast trub off the bottom of the bottle.

Do they look kind of fluffy? I've seen that in some commercial beers as well and always wondered? Didn't affect flavor but what i saw definitely was not yeast, could it have been coagulated proteins or something?

I bought some Founders Pale Ale at my LHBS the other day. It was on deep discount which was kind of curious. When I poured it I saw the same exact thing. Didnt look like yeast, more like proteins from hot break. I'm sure it has something to do with how the beer was transferred to whatever vessel they use for bottling. That's what I figured when I poured my founders.

There are several reviews on RateBeer, BeerAdvocate, and other sites indicating that Redhook Longhammer is, indeed, bottle conditioned.

Back