Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bugs have been chewing away for about six months.

Photo 2013-02-02 10.58.11 AM.jpg

Photo 2013-02-02 10.58.18 AM.jpg

Photo 2013-02-02 10.58.24 AM.jpg

Lovely pellicle inside a 1gal jug

20130203180445.jpg

It was pitched 1 month ago with dregs from Hannsens strawberry lambic, Allagash Interlude, and Timmerman's Gueze.

6 gallons of Lambic 65 hours after racking it over 18 pounds of blueberries split into 2 5 gallon carboys (one glass, one better bottle). The Lambic was 10 months old in primary at the time of racking.

blueberrypellicle3.jpg

blueberrypellicle1.jpg

blueberrypellicle2.jpg

Yeah, the pictures don't really do it justice. It is a nice, white bretty film. A couple of smallish brett-bubbles toward the center of each.

I was planning on leaving it on the fruit for 4 months or so. I didn't flush with CO2 (don't have CO2 or a kegging set up). I also have an even 3 gallons of lambic plus fruit in each carboy, which is about 4 gallons volume wise...so 3 gallon carboys were out. I have bubbles forming in the pellicle as well as a small amount of airlock activity so I am pretty confidant that the headspace is full of CO2 now. I am also not really happy with the amount of headspace I have, but didn't see much of a way around it. I also figured once the headspace was filled with CO2, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

i've wondered about the headspace issue in the past too, but as long as you're not checking it all the time and the fermentation is somewhat active, it doesn't seem like you could have too much of a problem with oxidation. also, doesn't the pellicle provide an O2 barrier?

i've wondered about the headspace issue in the past too, but as long as you're not checking it all the time and the fermentation is somewhat active, it doesn't seem like you could have too much of a problem with oxidation. also, doesn't the pellicle provide an O2 barrier?

That was my thought. And that pellicle formed quick: like 36 hours or so and it was fully formed. It is now COVERED in "brett-bubbles" and I am getting bubbles from my airlocks every 2 minutes or so. I can't imagine that there is much if any oxygen left in the headspace.

That was my thought. And that pellicle formed quick: like 36 hours or so and it was fully formed. It is now COVERED in "brett-bubbles" and I am getting bubbles from my airlocks every 2 minutes or so. I can't imagine that there is much if any oxygen left in the headspace.

I'd say that headspace is pretty much all CO2 at this point.

At 2 months on my lambic with wyeast lambic blend and dregs from a local geuze, tilquin geuze, and Hannsens cassis. It's my first lambic so I took a hydro sample yesterday to monitor the progress. 1.010 and just a hint of funk and sour. So far, so good

image-2516783154.jpg

image-1136366169.jpg

Pic 1 - starter with WLP Sour min and brett. lambicus..

Pic 2 - my oud bruin after 45 days in the primary. WLP Flemish Ale Blend and dregs from a 7 year old bottle of Quelque Chose.

image-213420035.jpg

image-2979596930.jpg

sour.jpg

Flanders Red with Roeselare + JesterKing Dregs (Buddha's Brew, Das Uberkind, Funk Metal, Boxer's Revenge, Das Wunderkind, RU-55).

Hey is that a vented silicone stopper ? i just started using one of these on a lambic about 2 weeks ago. If that's what I think it is what do you think about them ?

I've just started on sours, so my experience is with regular ales and lagers so far. For those, I'm a big fan. If I don't need a blow-off tube, that's what I put in there. And usually, after fermentation dies down, I replace with these because they're so simple.

Every now and then if the neck of the carboy or the stopper is wet, it can pop-up, but a quick dry on a paper towel and it'll wedge back in there.

w.r.t sours, I do believe the o2 diffusion rate is equivalent to keeping it in a bucket, so it's probably not a good choice for long term storage, but I'm new to this souring.

Anyone else use these for more than a few months without getting to much o2 exposure?

Saison brett almost 6 weeks in. Just a little one, but it's my first sour beer so i'm excited to see it forming

photo(73).jpg

BHMPIRE said:
1.053 turbid mash lambic with raw wheat, bohemian pilsener, and 3 year old whole leap hops. I pitched a half gallon starter of yeast that I harvested from my cellar. I think it's probably mostly lacto and brett. But it sure does look pretty.

Wow, that looks awesome!

Tiber_Brew said:
Just the "auto-adjust" in the photo software. No added special effects. It's a cell phone picture and the flash wasn't directly over the hole, so the light no doubt got distorted.

Certainly on of the more 'other-worldly' pics in this thread.

Does anyone have any idea what's growing inside the walls of my carboy (see pic)?
The carboy contains a oud bruin fermented with Roeselare, Flemish Ale Blend and dregs from a seven year old bottle of Quelque Chose...

image-3842045613.jpg

Back