Infections.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjt_88

Reaction score
I have been getting infections with San star sanitizer. Has any one else had that problem?

What? There is a 0% chance that StarSan was the reason you got an infection. If you got an infection, it was because you didn't use the StarSan properly. Literally, you likely "missed a spot...."

What? There is a 0% chance that StarSan gave you an infection. It is a strong acid that kills infections. If you got an infection, it came from another source, not your sanatizer. That is some REALLY bad logic to come to that conclusion.....

Not sure you're understanding correctly. He's asking how he could have possibly got an infection after using StarSan. He's not saying that the StarSan was the cause of the infection...

Unless the OP would like to clarify.

What I'm saying is ever since I switched I have gad infection. First time I have ever had one...

What I'm saying is ever since I switched I have gad infection. First time I have ever had one...

And what we are saying is it's not the Star San, it is something in your process that caused the infection. Somewhere along the line you did not sanitize something that came in contact with your beer. Or you did not clean something properly and assumed Star San would cover sup something that also needed to be cleaned.

Perhaps some more information would help. Was this an infection that was in the primary, secondary, bottle, keg? What is your cleaning and sanitizing process?

Help us help you:)

Also consider that StarSan is not a cleaner, it is a sanitizer. If you have even a small spot of soiled equipment, a sanitizer cannot work effectively.

It was just in the secondary so I got new tubing cuz the older one was no longer clear. It was cloudy. But then I got in the primary. So I was wondering if anyone else had that problem too. I never had a problem with LD Carlson. I don't scrub or sun a cloth in my buckets because the hold bacteria and create scratches.

It was just in the secondary so I got new tubing cuz the older one was no longer clear. It was cloudy. But then I got in the primary. So I was wondering if anyone else had that problem too. I never had a problem with LD Carlson. I don't scrub or sun a cloth in my buckets because the hold bacteria and create scratches.

That narrows it down a bit. You need to figure out where, between the moment the wort is chilled and when it's locked in the fermentation bucket, you are getting that source of infection. You can soak everything (that's not stainless) in a solution of 0.5 oz of bleach to 1 gallon of water, for an hour.

MC

Back