WLP565 saison for stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eltenchiz

Reaction score
Hi again,
So quick question. Has anyone tried making a stout with saison yeast? If not u think it would be any good? I am only asking because I have some washed yeast in the fridge that I need to use
Thanks
Mike

Hi again,
So quick question. Has anyone tried making a stout with saison yeast? If not u think it would be any good? I am only asking because I have some washed yeast in the fridge that I need to use
Thanks
Mike

I haven't, but last year I made a belgian strong dark with WLP530 (not a saison yeast, Belgian Abbey II) that judges called a "belgian stout" and got tons of good notes. They all dinged me for color and flavor (for the style) but the comments said things like "enter this as specialty: belgian stout and win" or "in the specialty category, this is a 40+ point beer."

I like Saison yeast even more (WLP530 isn't even one of my favorite belgian yeasts) so I think it could be done very well. Stick to a belgian grainbill, and maybe do like I did and work off of a BSD recipe but make it blacker with some roasted/high kilned malts.

I don't know, I'm not sure you can really make anything but a saison with a saison yeast. I mean you can throw it in a stout recipe, but it seems like you might just end up with a disgustingly dry stout with some funk, two things I think would clash with the roasty-ness of a stout grain bill. To me a stout needs sweetness to balance the roasted malts and with a saison yeast there would be no sweetness left so you'd have roasted malts, bitterness, and yeast funk all clashing with each other with nothing to balance them out.

Just my take, and it's all speculation, so if you've got the spare ingredients and time, try it out and who knows!

Now a stout with a belgian yeast is something that has intrigued me for a while, but I've yet to try it...

Now a stout with a belgian yeast is something that has intrigued me for a while, but I've yet to try it...

Going to bottle mine on Monday after work. Used a 3787 yeast cake to chew through a 1.106-1.107 chocolate RIS. Finished two pts higher than I expected at 1.027, but it tastes good! Supposedly it's the same yeast Avery uses in their Mephistopheles.

I had the same idea a dry stout of about 5% fermented with Dupont dregs.
I read up a loat of rave reviews on Dupont monk stout( which is just that, stout fermented with Dupont yeast).

I did a porter grain bill with a saison yeast 3 weeks ago. In a week or so, i'll let you know how it turned out

I did a porter grain bill with a saison yeast 3 weeks ago. In a week or so, i'll let you know how it turned out

Start a new thread about this when your beer is finished. I recently made a strawberry pale ale with saison yeast, so I am curious how all of these turn out!

Jester king in austin has a black metal stout that uses farmhouse yeast it turned out good.

I just brewed a saison with WLP565 2 days ago. Used 3 oz of hallertau (New Zealand, 7.6% AA). Guess this id an saison IPA.

New Zealand does some good hops. My saison prior to the one I'm about to brew used pacific jade and motueka(new Zealand) it came out amazing

Eltenchiz said:
New Zealand does some good hops. My saison prior to the one I'm about to brew used pacific jade and motueka(new Zealand) it came out amazing

I recently looked up the BJCP guidelines for a saison and they did not match up with beersmith. After adjusting beersmith, turns out my saison is within the style.

I say go for it! I recently had a Sour Breakfast Stout from a local brewery and it was delicious - don't know the details.

My vote goes towards adding a few ounces of acidulated malt and using the Saison yeast!

Back