Old Hops Grab Bag!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikobrew

Reaction score
UPDATE - We are out of 2oz pack grab bags and now have FULL SINGLE pounds available of 2010 crop hops. These are varieties that we either don't sell any more or that we have the 2011 crop of in stock. The price is $10/lb and they're going quick!

http://www.nikobrew.com/random-pound-o-2010-crop-hops/
------
Good afternoon fellow homebrewers!

Over the past 3 and a half years between equipment changes and warehouse moves we have a pile of hops that for whatever reason never made it into inventory. Most of these have been stored frozen though at times some may have not been for about a week. Many of the bags have handwritten info on them (my wife used to use a sharpie to write the variety and alpha acid content on each and every pack and the ones I wrote myself look quite ugly lol) from before we started printed labels for them. Some of their seals have come apart enough that the hops move around in the bag but no hops fall out for most of them too. As long as they don't smell like cheese you can use then but I would assume a little bit of alpha loss. There are a bunch of calculators online for figuring out how much has been lost but it's impossible to be certain as there are so many factors involved.

That being said Grab Bags consist of 8 2oz packs of assorted old hops (2009 and 2010 crop). They will literally be in one huge bag that Warehouse Enforcer Scott will pull from until they are gone. When we are out of 2oz packs we will move to full pounds (there aren't nearly as many of these).

Grab Bags - $6 while supplies last
http://www.nikobrew.com/old-hops-grab-bag-8-2oz-packs-of-old-hops/

Thanks for your time and have a great weekend!

I like the savings and weight info on the page, hahaha!

lates

t-willy

LOL thanks I have a lot of fun with that :) With flat rate shipping the weight doesn't matter and the savings info IS accurate for a number of products but it is very obvious on the ones that it's not.

What year and aa are these? Pellet, leaf or plug? Do I need a discount code? Do you offer shipping to canada? If a car leaves ny at 55 mph, what time will it arrive in nj?

are simcoe and amarillo included? is it mostly american or english?

The reason I will decline on answering the question as to varieties is because it is not a guarantee that you would get them. We put all of the 2009 and 2010 crop hops we have (except for the varieties we only have 2010 of in stock) into a big bag and Warehouse Enforcer Scott is pulling them out at random.

As for American or English there are some of both... and maybe one or two from other continents :p

What year and aa are these? Pellet, leaf or plug? Do I need a discount code? Do you offer shipping to canada? If a car leaves ny at 55 mph, what time will it arrive in nj?

1 - Pellet hops
2 - No code needed
3 - Yes we definitely ship to Canada and all other countries (that it's legal.. Afghanistan is a nono). The details are on the "Shipping" link at the top of our website but basically you can order up to 4 full pounds or 3 1/2 pound of mixed increments (which is what the grab bags are) for $18 USD. The process to order is use paypal as your payment method then I manually send you a separate paypal request for your shipping. Also these ship from Bellingham, WA so if you're ever down there and want to schedule a time/place to meet up hit my contact form and I'll pass the request to Warehouse Enforcer Scott.
4 - It depends on where in New York to where in New Jersey.

Hmm, random hops for a Frankenbeer 2012 or kitchen cupboard stout?

:) Let me know how it turns out if you do! To make it even more fun you could just not look at what hops they are when you get them. Just tape (or have someone else tape) over the type and alpha etc :)

:) Let me know how it turns out if you do! To make it even more fun you could just not look at what hops they are when you get them. Just tape (or have someone else tape) over the type and alpha etc :)

That could be a lot of fun. Make an iipa with unknown hop additions and unknown dry hops.:rockin:

Wow! 2 yr old, Unknown, Unfrozen hops for $6/lb? What a deal!

More like 1/5th of that plus profit.

HAH. I love how people guess what I paid for hops, nice try. Also, SOME of the hops were out of the freezer for about a week and they are clearly labeled :) Buy or don't.

I also made a mistake and didn't enter any inventory for Citra. It's now live again and can be ordered, the price is $5.50/2oz pack.

Nikobrew said:
1 - Pellet hops
2 - No code needed
3 - Yes we definitely ship to Canada and all other countries (that it's legal.. Afghanistan is a nono). The details are on the "Shipping" link at the top of our website but basically you can order up to 4 full pounds or 3 1/2 pound of mixed increments (which is what the grab bags are) for $18 USD. The process to order is use paypal as your payment method then I manually send you a separate paypal request for your shipping. Also these ship from Bellingham, WA so if you're ever down there and want to schedule a time/place to meet up hit my contact form and I'll pass the request to Warehouse Enforcer Scott.
4 - It depends on where in New York to where in New Jersey.

Dammit, you didn..t realize it was a joke

Just ordered a couple cascade rhizomes and a grab bag. Figure what the hell, just never know what you might get!

Hope these rhizomes grow, since 2 others from a competing company, which now won't ship to Idaho, have not started to grow yet... the 2 centennials are doing well, but the 2 cascades wont do anything.

Just ordered a couple cascade rhizomes and a grab bag. Figure what the hell, just never know what you might get!

Hope these rhizomes grow, since 2 others from a competing company, which now won't ship to Idaho, have not started to grow yet... the 2 centennials are doing well, but the 2 cascades wont do anything.

Thanks for your order are you going to the Mountain Brewers Fest? Im going and if you are we should meet up and party!

Nikobrew said:
Thanks for your order are you going to the Mountain Brewers Fest? Im going and if you are we should meet up and party!

I am doing everything I can to go! Depends on my work schedule, I may be on call... Will let you know!

Wow! Thanks folks for your orders. We now have THREE of these grab bags left. Once those are gone I'll ship some more hops up to Niko North (our Washington warehouse) from HQ (here in Idaho), I found a couple more boxes of these kinds of hops. Thank you for helping clear these out they have been taking up valuable space. Now what's going to be fun is sending the orders to Warehouse Enforcer Scott at Niko North in a few minutes.. hehee. I think he will be quite surprised. That being said some orders may take a couple days to ship we got about a week's worth of orders since I posted this.

OH ALSO please note (this is on our rhizomes page but I know especially when there's a deal being run it's easy to miss it, I'm going to put it in larger red letters): RHIZOMES AND HOP PELLETS CANNOT BE ORDERED TOGETHER. They ship from different locations so if you do order them together I will send you a paypal request for $5 shipping and will manually separate your one order into two. This takes a little bit of time and as orders are flying in right now this may cause a delay. Thanks again!

Grab bags are all sold out until I ship more hops up to the warehouse! I will do that this week, thanks folks!

Got my grab bag today and it was one of the most delightful experiences I've had in a long time! Lots of varieties from lots of places and, perhaps a bit perversely, my favorite is the unlabeled mystery hops. This was as good as opening a fresh pack of Topps baseball cards when I was a kid but even better because I knew this time my mom won't throw any of them out and none of them will end up in the spokes of my awesome Huffy.

Thanks Niko.

Well, I would have preferred to have more variance rather than one full pound of the same hops. However, you really cannot beat the price - $.53/ounce

Code:
2009	Styrian Golding
2009	Styrian Golding
2009	Styrian Golding
2009	Styrian Golding
2009	Styrian Golding
2009	Styrian Golding
2009	Styrian Golding
2009	Styrian Golding
2010	Fuggles
2010	Magnum
2010	Willamette
2010	Chinook
2010	Nugget
2010	Bravo
2010	Mount Hood
2010	Mount Hood

Thanks for your orders, folks!

Scottvin - Yeah we had a lot of Styrian Goldings it was tough to avoid and thanks for the feedback on the price

klnosaj - Thanks for the description of your experience! I'm glad you had fun. I under estimated the success if this promo (not that we made a bunch of money because we obviously did not, but we lost LESS money lol). As for the excitement of the unlabeled bag that is awesome and the funny thing is that actually should not have even been there lol. These were all supposed to be labeled (we have some that never got labeled we will blow out again sometime) but I'm glad you had fun :)

We're actually working right now on collecting enough hops in the same fashion to promote these again Saturday.

Thanks again folks we greatly appreciate your support!

Got my hops and rhizomes! What to brew, what to brew...

Thanks Niko!

image-2427718332.jpg

mccumath I think you should follow your signature "Put it all in the primary, and let the BeerGods sort it out"

Though some in the boil kettle would be good too. :mug:

motorhead69 said:
mccumath I think you should follow your signature "Put it all in the primary, and let the BeerGods sort it out"

Though some in the boil kettle would be good too. :mug:

Exactly! That sounds like a damn fine idea!

Nice assortment! Thanks for posting this. Whats fun about this is I never saw what went out, it was up to Warehouse Enforcer Scott to grab from the bag. He's putting together another large bag to pull from. I will announce it sometime tomorrow they will be the same price.

Got my 2 lbs yesterday and I am very satisfied. Nice selection including 6oz of 2009 Amarillo. Package was pretty beat up but hops were fine. Thanks Nikobrew!

I just put these online again, we have 20 pounds and last time we sold just over 30 pounds in about 24 hours.

Back