Florida hops growing ( a log )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilfonzo

Reaction score
I live in West Central Florida and I haven't seen too much info anywhere about growing hops in the area, so I will keep a log on here as I go and hopefully help some people out as well as receive input.

Zone: 10, according to the UF extension office only info I could find

Didn't have a single frost this year.

Soil:well, there isn't any, It's basically just sand.

Plan: I will be planting four different (Willamette, Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook) varieties in Four different exposures.

3-11-12
First rhizomes to arrive are two Willamette, these are planted with a North East exposure which does not get any shade until late in the day, approx. 8pm in the summer.

I planted these in 3 gallon pots with the bottom cut out. I did this for several reasons, to keep the very aggressive Spanish Needles ( Bidens Alba ) from taking over as they have done with everything in my yard, ease of watering, ease adding nutrients, and will make it easier to move, if ever the need be.

I filled the pots with Miracle-Gro Garden soil, I have used this in the past with great results so I couldn't find a reason not to again.

Photo%2520Mar%252013%252C%25205%252020%252056%2520PM.jpg

I planted the rhizomes vertically because they already had shoots going in that direction.

I cut a couple holes in the pots and screwed an 8 foot long 2x4 on the already existing structure (janky Mini ramp) that's about 4 foot high for a total of 12' tall. Put a screw on top and ran the yard twine to the pots.

Photo%2520Mar%252013%252C%25205%252021%252006%2520PM.jpg

I will update when the other rhizomes come in or when there is visible growth.

3-19-12
Planted the Cascades last week and they are starting to sprout already. They were planted the exact same was as the Willamette. Planted them in an area that gets more morning shade.

Photo%2520Mar%252019%252C%252012%252000%252024%2520PM.jpg

-still nothing from the Willamette.

Thanks, I plan on building a trellis today.

I planted vertically (because the sprouts were already pointing in that direction) with about a .25" to .5" of the rhizome sticking out.

The sprouts grew about an inch since yesterday.

Good to see a recent thread on this. I just planted a Cascade and Magnum about a week ago. About an hour east of you and there already about 18". Guess I get to build a trellis tomorrow. I can't wait to see your progress, keep us updated, looks good.

3-19-12
Planted the Cascades last week and they are starting to sprout already. They were planted the exact same was as the Willamette. Planted them in an area that gets more morning shade.

Photo%2520Mar%252019%252C%252012%252000%252024%2520PM.jpg

-still nothing from the Willamette.

Glad to see that I am not the only one that is not seeing any activity from my Williamette. I just planted it along with the cascade on the 20th and I am seeing sprouts almost exactly like yours from the cascade :)

I was just starting to worry myself, it must just be normal for the strain. Te cascades are now 6 inches tall or so.

I was just starting to worry myself, it must just be normal for the strain. Te cascades are now 6 inches tall or so.

I am seeing some decent activity from the Williamette now and the Cascade is growing about an inch per day :)

Good luck to you - I'm interested to see how you do. There's a guy who did some Cascades last year in S Florida who got some hops off his first year plant. Not sure if he's still around or not.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/south-florida-hop-growing-261214/

I'd think you'll get some cones from the C hops, but I'm not sure about Willamette. I've got 5 varieties growing in NC (Cascades, Magnum, Santiam, Centennial, and Willamette) and the Willamette is the weakest plant of the 5. But this is their second year so we'll see if they do any better this year.

Edit: Here's another Fl grower for you to check out:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/florida-first-year-hops-253273/

I think Cascades will grow and produce anywhere. That plant is a beast.

Good luck to you - I'm interested to see how you do. There's a guy who did some Cascades last year in S Florida who got some hops off his first year plant. Not sure if he's still around or not.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/south-florida-hop-growing-261214/

I'd think you'll get some cones from the C hops, but I'm not sure about Willamette. I've got 5 varieties growing in NC (Cascades, Magnum, Santiam, Centennial, and Willamette) and the Willamette is the weakest plant of the 5. But this is their second year so we'll see if they do any better this year.

Edit: Here's another Fl grower for you to check out:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/florida-first-year-hops-253273/

I think Cascades will grow and produce anywhere. That plant is a beast.

Sounds good :) I ordered two Centennial rhizomes as well because I will probably use those more than the others anyways...

UPDATE 4/12/12
One of the Willamette is finally starting to show signs of life. This is for sure the weakest of the bunch. It was planted first and was the last to sprout.
Photo%2520Apr%252010%252C%25201%252015%252054%2520PM.jpg

The cascades is indeed a beast, the fastest growing of the bunch. Finally got around to building a trellis. I winged it, wanted to look like a tree but turned out looking like a street sign.
Photo%2520Apr%252010%252C%25201%252015%252031%2520PM.jpg

They're about two foot high already
Photo%2520Apr%252010%252C%25201%252015%252021%2520PM.jpg

I planted the third Cascade in a shadier spot, the twine goes up to the eves.
Photo%2520Apr%252010%252C%25201%252016%252014%2520PM.jpg

Got the Chinook and Centennial in from Arrowhead Hops, They sprouted in a few days. I haven't got around to figuring out where I am going to plant them yet.

All of the plants have been getting watered in the morning and night, two days in a row and the third day no water. (due to work schedule)

There has been no wilting, bugs, burning, or any other problems yet.

Oh, and here is the Chinook after a few days. these I used "take root" rooting hormone, figured it couldn't hurt. It seems to have worked well.
Photo%2520Apr%252010%252C%25201%252015%252037%2520PM.jpg

Looks good, you've got a nice variety. This is my first year doing it too east of Hillsborough. Just got my arbor up for the ones I planted, decided on growing in pots this year.

trellis.jpg

Back