Where do I find 16-20 ft cedar poles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinsato

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on building a hops trellis this year and would like to find 3 cedar or locust wood poles 16-20 feet in length to support my cable. The problem I am running into is that Home Depot, Lowes, and the other 2 local building supply stores here in town don't carry lengths of wood over 16 feet and when they do they are made of fir rather than a nice non rotting type of wood. Has anyone else built any hops trellis' like this? If so what did you use for supports on each end of your trellis? I'm even thinking that 15 ft would be ok, with 3 feet buried into the ground leaving it be about 12 feet high. It would make for easier harvesting and out here in New Mexico we don't have lots of rain/water so I doubt my hops will be reaching any extraordinary heights. So far the only store that carries cedar poles only has them in 8 ft lengths. I may have to rethink my entire design.

Companies that supply the utility companies. You might have to buy 60' poles and cut them down.

I'm planning on building a hops trellis this year and would like to find 3 cedar or locust wood poles 16-20 feet in length to support my cable. The problem I am running into is that Home Depot, Lowes, and the other 2 local building supply stores here in town don't carry lengths of wood over 16 feet and when they do they are made of fir rather than a nice non rotting type of wood. Has anyone else built any hops trellis' like this? If so what did you use for supports on each end of your trellis? I'm even thinking that 15 ft would be ok, with 3 feet buried into the ground leaving it be about 12 feet high. It would make for easier harvesting and out here in New Mexico we don't have lots of rain/water so I doubt my hops will be reaching any extraordinary heights. So far the only store that carries cedar poles only has them in 8 ft lengths. I may have to rethink my entire design.

Why not bolt a couple 8'ers together and bury 3' into the ground. Might not be as sleek looking as a single board, but what the heck, right? :)

I just did a few poles this weekend. Not sure the length poles i bought, but i think 6-8ft? Anyway, i bought three 2x2s for each end. Cut a portion for the base so that the bottom was essentially the three 2x2 with one 6" length piece on the bottom. I took the rest of the pole and bolted it to the top essentially making double the length. I'll be connecting them with rope on the very tops adding another 6-8' to the overall grow area. I put a cement base in and will hope for the best. I'll likely brace them with tent stakes once they get going. Bines on each end and will meet in the middle. Total cost for my trip was about $30.

Here's the unfinished idea. Note the upper poles are not yet attached. These poles look about 6' as i recall.
24588_381276818093_616883093_3600345_322491_n.jpg

Back