power cable help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alchemy

Reaction score
Building a new power cable for my speidel braumeister and the instructions on the plug box are not very clear.

From what I gather green is ground and should be at the top on the L shaped prong. As for the white and black... Not sure which side they go on or if it matters.

The plug is a 10–30p and i am going to be stripping my Braumeister plug which is a c13 female. The yellow green on that should be ground and then two hots.

Based on this picture have I wired the 10–30p end right?

ForumRunner_20130109_100539.jpg

This is how I am splicing the German cord which is 16guage to the 10guage with the 10–30p dryer end.

Not certain if it matters which hot to which hot but the green ground is going to the yellow green ground.

ForumRunner_20130109_113241.jpg

Look at the color of the contacts/screwes. The whilte wire always goes to the silver colored screw and the black goes to the copper colored screw.

The package comes with two silver and two brass as it can be used for a 50amp straight blade as well.

Those blades are removable so i dont see how the color of the screw makes a difference. The one at the top is the bent blade and the two to either side are straight.

Green is for ground, black and white are supposed to be both hot 120volts.

What I am wondering is if the bent blade at the top should be ground and if it matters which hot goes where, black on left or right, white on left or right.

I am not familair with the cord cap that you are installing.

You are correct. Green is ground. Black and white are not both hot. Black is hot and white is neutral.

I would use a meter to measure the voltage on socket you are connecting to. Find the hot is the socket and make sure you wire your black wire to that. Put your white wire on the other screw and green to the ground screw.

This is a 240 socket, doesn't it have no neutral... Two hots running 120 on each?

That euro type two on the first list is the original cord for my brew system.

I cut that cord and need to splice it to a 10–30p dryer connector.

Sorry, didn't realize it was 240. With three wires, you have two hots and a neutral/ground.

Check this out:
http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/electrical/how-to-wire-dryer.html

Based on that the green ground is In the right place and it doesn't matter which sides the two hots go into.

So if i wire green to yellow green on the euro 2 side and then black and white can go to either one of the hots on the euro2. Blue or brown.

The euro cord is 16 Guage and i am splicing it to 10 Guage, think that will cause an issue?

Thank you for the help

if you are going to a larger size cable (smaller gauge) you should be fine. 16 gauge wire is good for 13 amps, so if you are below 13 amps, you should be fine.

Keep in mind, if you are this unsure, you might want to contact a local electrician. I am not an electrician. Water and 240 volts can be a dangerous combination.

Back