New keggle build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsman20

Reaction score
I am looking for ideas on where to put the valves on my new keggle. (got 3 but the boil one is going to get finished first ). How high should I put the recirculating fitting for the whirlpool? I am doing 5 gal batches now but will move to 10 at some point. Also will a false bottom help in the boil pot or is it just for the mash tun. I did get to use the CNC plasma cutter at work to cut the tops off.

Yes definitely use a false bottom in the boil kettle. Hop debris can be a huge problem if not cared for the proper way. Also be sure not to place your ball valves above a drainage hole in the side of the keg. Good luck!!

If you plan on doing the whirlpool method than a FB in the BK is not needed. You would need a side pickup tube to take the wort from the side of the kettle and not the middle. If you choose not to do the whirlpool than a simple hop spider would work. I have a SS one and it works great not issues.

I put my whirlpool inlet at around the 4 gallon point. (5 gallon batches). Not sure what the proper height is but it works well for me. I also added a removable damn. Whirlpool works even though the heating element is in the way.

image-193953460.jpg

image-2577357326.jpg

image-2031898294.jpg

I was thinking the 3 to 4 gallon level. It's going to be weldless all around. I figure at that level it will work for 5 and 10 gal batches.

Back