Help me pick my next kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erich8

Reaction score
Hey guys, my 3rd batch has completed fermentation and I am gonna dry hop here in about 4 days and then let it sit for another week and then bottle it up. Did a FG reading on it today and its about done and is tasting and smelling great. Obviously this frees up my fermenting bucket and I would like to get another batch going ASAP. The beer that is in there currently is a Sierra Nevada Celebration clone, so for my next batch I want to try something darker.

I am leaning toward an Irish Stout, Oatmeal Stout, or even a Chocolate Stout. But I am obviously up for more suggestions. If you wouldn't mind posting links to your suggestions that would be great, I will more than likely be ordering it tomorrow so I should have the kit right before my current batch finishes up. And also please let me know about your experience with the kits you suggest. Thanks :) Guess I should also add that its gonna be a 5 gal batch.

Hefeweizen's are always a good bet. One of my favorite beers. If you want a less known German beer, you can go with a Kolsch style... don't know how popular those kits are though. I probably should have let a vet answer this one...

If u have a lhbs u could always stop in there. They always have recipes on hand and can steer u in the right direction

Stouts are very forgiving, as the heavier body covers alot of mistakes. You really can't go wrong with any variation of a stout kit.

Did you get any of the roasted barley, caramel, and chocolate notes when you tasted it??

Definitely. It tasted like a good stout. It is very Guinness-like, but I didn't get the right color I wanted, so I used some Sinamar to darken it up a bit when I bottled.

Well I ended up going with the Brewer's Best Irish Stout. Picked it up from my LHBS today. I looked online at some reviews and it had some good ones. I honestly didn't want to wait for the kit to get shipped as I have a fermentation bucket free right now. It's boiling right now, so hopefully it turns out great :) Thanks for all the replies everyone.

My 2nd batch was a Brewer's Best Irish Stout. Easy & it was damn good.

A friend even did compare it to a Guinness! I have a Brewer's Milk Stout fermenting now

Well I ended up going with the Brewer's Best Irish Stout. Picked it up from my LHBS today. I looked online at some reviews and it had some good ones. I honestly didn't want to wait for the kit to get shipped as I have a fermentation bucket free right now. It's boiling right now, so hopefully it turns out great :) Thanks for all the replies everyone.

This might be a good time to order a kit so it will be there when you are ready for the next brew session. By going to one of the major online suppliers like Midwest (midwestsupplies.com), Northern Brewer (northernbrewer.com), or Austin Homebrew Supplies (austinhomebrew.com) you may get fresher ingredients as the have great turnover and an even bigger choice of brews you can make.:mug:

Back