New Hop Variety: Belma- Puterbaugh Farms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FATC1TY said:
Spicy and fruity might be a good combo to layer some complexity in your beers though.

Going for a citrusy, piney ipa but want that spicy in there without over doing it with... Chinook? Toss in some Belma, some Cascade, and some simcoe, and you've got a citrusy/piney/spicy hob juice!

I like the spicy fruitiness a lot and its really smooth but its not something I can use in many beers and unfortunately I thought it would be very similar to citra and bought 5lbs.

Tasting mine now and I agree, it's very smooth. I used in a blend, interested how the single hop versions turn out.

My sample tastings make me think they would go VERY well in a smoked IPA. I think you could go fairly heavy with them and be happy with it. I wouldn't hesitate to dry hop with 4oz or so.

Spicy and fruity might be a good combo to layer some complexity in your beers though.

Going for a citrusy, piney ipa but want that spicy in there without over doing it with... Chinook? Toss in some Belma, some Cascade, and some simcoe, and you've got a citrusy/piney/spicy hob juice!

I like the sound of this! Just waiting for some different kinds of pellets to come online before I place my order, but Belma will definitely be on there.

Just split a pound of these. Pretty stoked. Next brew day is a quad, but after that I'm trying to determine where I should use these. I have had success with citra in a pale, wit, and saison... thinking i may do one of those. Or I might just do a smash w/2-row and chico and hop the **** out of it with belma. WE SHALL SEE.

How long does hopsdirect take to ship, generally?

When my pound shows up, I'm going to do a simple pale I think with it. 2 row or some GP, a fistful of crystal, and try the belma straight through, or maybe cut it with some cascade or amarillo in the middle for some layered flavor, but hop burst it all in the end. I'll bitter with the Belma though, and add it for every addition too.

After dryhopping my pale ale with 2 oz of Belma for a little over a week, I get a nice peppery spiciness but no real floral or fruit -- or maybe they're being overpowered by the spice. I threw in another ounce last night and we'll see if anything changes.

Anyone combined cascade and Belma yet? I'm doing it thus weekend

Split batch of American bitter and Belgian bitter

Would you guys say a 2 to 1 ratio of Citra to Belma would be good for the dryhop in an American IIPA? I'm wondering if I should go 1:1, 1:2, or 2:1 because I haven't sampled or smelled Belma yet.

I'm brewing up two, 3.5 gallon batches on Sunday in the drier West Coast style... one with Wyeast London Ale 1028 and one with San Diego Super. Warrior to bitter at 60, Citra & Belma for the late additions and dryhop. Perhaps I should do 2:1 for the SD Super and 1:2 for the London Ale batch.

bobbrews said:
Would you guys say a 2 to 1 ratio of Citra to Belma would be good for the dryhop in an American IIPA? I'm wondering if I should go 1:1, 1:2, or 2:1 because I haven't sampled or smelled Belma yet.

I'm brewing up two, 3.5 gallon batches on Sunday in the drier West Coast style... one with Wyeast London Ale 1028 and one with San Diego Super. Warrior to bitter at 60, Citra & Belma for the late additions and dryhop. Perhaps I should do 2:1 for the SD Super and 1:2 for the London Ale batch.

How many oz total for dry hopping are you planning on using?

Probably about 2.5 total oz. dryhops per 3.5 gallon batch, which is approx. 0.70 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer.

1:2 ratio sounds good but u might wanna lower it to 2:3 or somewhere in between. The citra will probably stand out much more than the Belma. But if that's what u want then that's okay.

1:2 ratio sounds good but u might wanna lower it to 2:3 or somewhere in between. The citra will probably stand out much more than the Belma. But if that's what u want then that's okay.

^yup

Citra is going to be much bolder than the Belma. If you want a balanced flavor between the two, I would consider going 2:1 or 3:2 Belma:Citra.

I don't want a balanced flavor per se and I am very familiar with Citra. I just haven't smelled Belma yet for myself. I guess I'll figure it out when I open the bag.

Just finished brewing a smoked IPA:

5.5 gallons, 75% efficiency

6lb Briess 2-row
5lb Briess Smoked Malt (cherrywood)
2lb Weyermann Smoked Malt (beechwood)
1.5 oz Belma (leaf, 12.1%AA) FWH
1.5 oz Belma 20 min
3 oz dry hop
US-05

Per BrewTarget:
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.016
IBU: 60
SRM: 6

I actually got 73% efficiency, so the OG was 1.064. Also, the color seems a little darker, almost somewhere between deep golden and light brown.

In my 7 years of brewing I have never had a hydrometer sample taste so good!

Nice.. Loving the positives on here. Worst I've read, is that it's muted and not and outspoken hop. Not a bad deal, will blend well and add layers of flavor.

I have a pound of leaf and pellet, so I'll be doing something with it soon. Maybe a nice wheat pale or something with them and something else.

I went ahead and got a pound of pellets today with my amarillo and citra order. I was sort of surprised by the fruitiness of this one. I keep picturing it with chocolate. Like strawberries dipped in chocolate.

shoreman said:
Anyone combined cascade and Belma yet? I'm doing it thus weekend

Split batch of American bitter and Belgian bitter

I did magnum and cascade for my bittering and aroma/flavor. 3dry hops of Belma. It compliments them well. Dry hop heavy! Belma comes on soft, but flavorful. I did 1.75oz for 3 days, 1oz for 3 days, 1oz for three days. Wish I would have done 2oz each dry hop.

So is everyone thinking that you should close to double what you'd normally use in say.. an amarillo or citra addition?

Soft, muted, subtle... all have been said of it.

FATC1TY said:
So is everyone thinking that you should close to double what you'd normally use in say.. an amarillo or citra addition?

Soft, muted, subtle... all have been said of it.

If its the only hop ure using then probably but if used in combination with other hops to create complex flavors I think you could treat it as you do normal hops. If you really want it to stand out u could go double but only if u think its necessary. I did a smash ipa with Belma and it tastes very nice not a citrus bomb and I'd rather say smooth than soft or subtle. I added it to my normal ipa where I use 7 types of hops for flavors and aroma, only used 1 oz of dry hops of Belma it's there but it's not masked and kinda comes out at the end.

Basically if ure not making a citrus bomb then normal additions should be fine. I think it goes better paired with simcoe than citra.

After I read everyone's reviews I changed to an IPA and made this last night:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.5 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 14.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - First Wort 80 min Hop 4 17.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 15.3 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 15.2 IBUs
3.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 18.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 8.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 11 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 %
Bitterness: 75 IBUs
Calories: 178.9 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 7.7 SRM

Mine should be in this week. Gonna do a simple Pale with only Belma.
15# 2-Row
2# Crystal 40
1# White Wheat
1#Cara-Pils
Mash @ 148*

Then 1oz each Belma @ 60, 30, 15, 0, DRY
O.G = 1.051, SRM = 7.8, IBU = 49

Nottingham Yeast @ 68*

This should give a good indication of how this hop stands up to others. I will report back with notes. If you don't see any in a month, bump this post... :cross:

After I read everyone's reviews I changed to an IPA and made this last night:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.5 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 14.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - First Wort 0.0 min Hop 4 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 15.3 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 15.2 IBUs
3.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 18.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 8.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 11 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 %
Bitterness: 57.2 IBUs
Calories: 178.9 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 7.7 SRM

Did you calculate 0 IBU's from the FWH?

In my experience, hop character is diminished with higher cara- malt usage, especially with the darker crystals. If you to have a better idea of what a hop has to offer, go with a relatively clean yeast and grist (0-5% total cara malts).

In my experience, hop character is diminished with higher cara- malt usage, especially with the darker crystals. If you to have a better idea of what a hop has to offer, go with a relatively clean yeast and grist (0-5% total cara malts).

I was going with the Crystal for color and extra mouthfeel but it seems I should go dryer to boost the hop characteristics. You think substituting Vienna in place of the Crystal is a good option? I have seen some Pale Recipes that go this route...And that would keep the Cara down to about 5% >>> Maybe sub something else in instead of Vienna (Victory) or just do away with that second malt addition altogether... Because the aim here is to get a good highlight of the Belma hop. Thanks for the insight.

I'm not sure why Beersmith did that. I would assume it adds just as much as the 60 minute addition, but I'm not sure how to do the calculations for FWH.

Your fwh addition says 0 min. Change that to 60 or full boil time.

I'm not sure why Beersmith did that. I would assume it adds just as much as the 60 minute addition, but I'm not sure how to do the calculations for FWH.

It actually add MORE than the 60min addition

When you do it, do FWH on the hops selection and it'll figure it out for you.. Mine does automatically.

I was going with the Crystal for color and extra mouthfeel but it seems I should go dryer to boost the hop characteristics. You think substituting Vienna in place of the Crystal is a good option? I have seen some Pale Recipes that go this route...And that would keep the Cara down to about 5% >>> Maybe sub something else in instead of Vienna or just do away with that second malt addition altogether... Because the aim here is to get a good highlight of the Belma hop. Thanks for the insight.

Mash higher if you want more mouthfeel. Change the grain ratio to make up for the higher mash temp.

Try 152-153, knock the crystal down, maybe toss in a bit of munich if you want some color and body to go along with not making it ultra sweet.

I didn't realize I still had to enter the minutes for FWH and adjusted my original recipe. Now its 75 IBUS overall, which should turn out pretty well.

Which BS version?

If I have a 60 min boil set, it automatically takes that into account when I select FWH. Maybe previous versions don't do that?

Whichever the case, glad you got it worked out.

Anyone in Pittsburgh area interested in trying out belma, or placing an order with Hops Direct? Shipping on 2# is a whopping 12.60, but shipping on 10# is only $23.00.

That's much more reasonable - comes to 7.55/lb.

I just got a pound in with my centennial order. I am planning on doing a simple extract pale ale of about 30 inus to test them. I'm debating going straight belma or combining with other hops. Those who have used them so far what are your suggestions? I have the following hops on hand

Centennial 1#
Cascade 0.5 oz
Sorachi ace 2oz
Motieka 1.5 oz
Magnum .5 oz
Fuggles .5 oz
Saaz 1 oz
Perle 1 oz

Tanks in advance for the input.

Hoping to brew this recipe over the weekend, looking forward to trying them out.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.46 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.46 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 6.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 47.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 9.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 92.5 %
6.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.1 %
5.1 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.4 %
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 14.7 IBUs
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 13.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 9.0 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.25 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 5.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.7 IBUs
0.5 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -
1.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 4.3 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 12.58 qt of water at 162.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.68 gal water at 168.0 F

You guys that have used them would they be subtle enough to use in a lager? I keep hearing people say they are subtle but how subtle. Would it be gross in say an Oktoberfest?

You guys that have used them would they be subtle enough to use in a lager? I keep hearing people say they are subtle but how subtle. Would it be gross in say an Oktoberfest?

I wouldn't use them in a lager. I don't find them that subtle. There's a decent about of 'resin' character to them. Not as much as CTZ or Citra per-say, but it's not a 'clean' lager hop.

Latest posts

Back