Help with Head Hunter IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppopotamous

Reaction score
Was hoping to get some help coming up with partial mash clone of Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA. Here are the specs they list on their website:

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.013
Malts: Pale, CaraMalt, C-15, Cara-Pils
Hops: Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial

Really was just looking for some help in figuring out the malt recipe so that I could play with the hops combinations. Thanks!

I haven't had this one, but I'll help you out as much as I can using the information you gave about the beer. I also found out that it's 7.5% abv and 87 IBUs. Highly carbonated with medium body and a golden to light orange color.

What's your start boil size and end batch size (in gallons)? How much grain can your system handle (in lbs.)?

I was just reading an interview with matt cole on their brewery website and he stated they use mash hops and first wort hopping also. Really awesome that they have hit the store shelves. There is a lot of potential for them to really take off big! Great lakes is about the only brewery Cleveland gets credit for from people that dont know the area even though we have some great smaller pubs. Nice to see someone else start getting recognized.

hmmm just read another article on their website. This was at the end of the article.
"One last note: If you want Cole’s recipe for Head Hunter IPA, you only have to get Mitch Steele’s (Stone Brewing Co. brewmaster) upcoming book on IPAs to be called “For the Love of Hops,” scheduled for September 2012 release. "

anyone get Mitch's book yet, been close on this recipe just not quite there yet

From Mitch's new book

Malt bill:
American two-row malt 50%
Maris Otter malt 25%
CaraHell malt 6%
Crystal malt6%
Toasted wheat flakes 5%
CaraPils malt 2%
Dextrose 5%

Mash: 60-minute rest at 151 F with 6.7% of kettle hop bill Centennial 9.2% alpha acids.

Total boil time is 90 minutes. At the start of the boil in the kettle (90 minutes)
use 17.7% alpha acids CTZ at 23.3% of the bill. Identical additions at a ratio
of 6.7% each Citra (12.4% alpha acids) and Centennial (9.2% alpha acids)
are added at 45 minutes and again at 30 minutes. At the end of the boil add
23.3% Simcoe (12.27%o alpha acids), 16.6% Centennial (9.2% alpha acids), and
3.3% Columbus (14.2% alpha acids).

Fermentation
Use WLP001 or WY 1056 for pitching. Hold at 67" F (19.4" C) for four to five
days. Hold 2 days at fermentation temperature for a diacetyl rest before
cooling to 50" F (10" C). Crop or drop the yeast.

Dry hop for 10 days using
Equal parts Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, and Columbus at 0.2l oz./gal. (0.40
lb./bbl.,l.5a g/L) for each hop. Allow the temperature to rise to 60' F
Rouse hops with CO, at days 2, 5, and 8. Drop hops (remove or rack off
hops) at day 9. Cool for two days at 40' F, and finally cool to 33" F (0-6"
C). This beer is not filtered.

Targets:
OG: 17'P (1.068 SG)
TG:3.4 "P (1.014 SG)
ADF:80%
IBU:87
ABY:7.5%
Color: 8.5 "L (16.2" EBC)

Thanks a bunch this is great info, although not really straight forward I will try to come up with a 5 gallon recipe. Does the recipe say what lovibond the crystal is and i suppose the dry hop is .2oz./gal
thanks again
Bells

Here is what I came up with although not exact should be pretty close.
For the last additions says at flame out, used 10 min just to calculate isomerization in the whirlpool
the SRM for the toasted flaked wheat is estimated

Batch Size : 6.0 gal
Bitterness: 87.6 IBU
Color 8.4 SRM
Boil Size: 10.3 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.3 gal

Malt Bill

7 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 50.5 %
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 26.1 %
14 oz Carahell (13.0 SRM) 5.7 %
14 oz Crystal Malt 40L (40.0 SRM) 5.7 %
12 oz Wheat Flaked Toasted (8.0 SRM) 4.9 %
5 oz Cara-Pils (2.0 SRM) 2.0 %
12.5 oz Corn Sugar 5.1 %
7 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Mash 60.0 min 1.3 IBUs

Hops

21 g CTZ [17.70 %] - Boil 90.0 min 39.2 IBUs
7 g Citra [12.40 %] - Boil 45.0 min 7.9 IBUs
7 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 45.0 min 5.8 IBUs
7 g Citra [12.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min 6.6 IBUs
7 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min 4.9 IBUs
24 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 11.6 IBUs
17 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min 5.8 IBUs
4 g Columbus [14.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min 2.1 IBUs

28 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
28 g Simcoe [12.27 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
28 g Citra [12.40 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
28 g Columbus [14.20 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

A couple of these with a plate of wings & I'm in heaven. This recipe is going to be one of my next couple of brews.

this recipe produces a great beer. not sure how close it is as I have nothing to compare too. The Headhunter in the bottle is defiantly not the same beer you get in the brew pub. the bottled stuff seems way to bitter and a lot less hop flavor and aroma. Not the same at all. From what i remember you may want too slightly increase the bittering and the Columbus at flameout additions

bellsbrat, using brybarrett's post along with the info on the website, I came up with this revision http://hopville.com/recipe/1678920 based on 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. The hop %'s worked out as stated. My only guess on the IBUs being higher is because Head Hunter's stated IBUs are actual, not theoretical. I can't imagine the hop additions are much less than 1/4 oz. per slot. However, if you wish to cut the IBUs down to 86 on the calculator, simply use 0.75 oz. at 90 instead of 1.75 oz.

Of the 7.5 oz. kettle hops used:
3.3% = 1/4 oz.
6.7% = 1/2 oz.
16.6% = 1.25 oz.
23.3% = 1.75 oz.

Some things I noticed:

* The revised recipe seems like Head Hunter is loosely based on Pliny the Elder with more crystal malt focus and some English MO in the mix. Similar OG, yeast, timing of hops, amount of hops, and choice of hops, minus the Citra.

*The specs on the website do not align with the specs in the book.

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.013
Malts: Pale, CaraMalt, C-15, Cara-Pils
Hops: Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial

From Mitch's new book - Malt bill:
American two-row malt 50%
Maris Otter malt 25%
CaraHell malt 6%
Crystal malt 6%
Toasted wheat flakes 5%
CaraPils malt 2%
Dextrose 5%

Mash: 60-minute rest at 151 F with 6.7% of kettle hop bill Centennial 9.2% alpha acids.

Total boil time is 90 minutes. At the start of the boil in the kettle (90 minutes)
use 17.7% alpha acids CTZ at 23.3% of the bill. Identical additions at a ratio
of 6.7% each Citra (12.4% alpha acids) and Centennial (9.2% alpha acids)
are added at 45 minutes and again at 30 minutes. At the end of the boil add
23.3% Simcoe (12.27%o alpha acids), 16.6% Centennial (9.2% alpha acids), and
3.3% Columbus (14.2% alpha acids).

Fermentation
Use WLP001 or WY 1056 for pitching. Hold at 67" F (19.4" C) for four to five
days. Hold 2 days at fermentation temperature for a diacetyl rest before
cooling to 50" F (10" C). Crop or drop the yeast.

Dry hop for 10 days using
Equal parts Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, and Columbus at 0.2l oz./gal. (0.40
lb./bbl.,l.5a g/L) for each hop. Allow the temperature to rise to 60' F
Rouse hops with CO, at days 2, 5, and 8. Drop hops (remove or rack off
hops) at day 9. Cool for two days at 40' F, and finally cool to 33" F (0-6"
C). This beer is not filtered.

Targets:
OG: 17'P (1.068 SG)
TG:3.4 "P (1.014 SG)
ADF:80%
IBU:87
ABY:7.5%
Color: 8.5 "L (16.2" EBC)

IN an interview, Matt cole said the recipe in the book is not the same as head hunter but that "it will get you close". I brewed it a couple of weeks ago, with some variation based on malt availabilities and it is in the ballpark but def not a clone.

Good to know. I wonder why they shift from C-15 to C-10 and include Citra in the book version. For the website info, they don't necessarily have to mention which types of pale malt were used or include dextrose, but toasted flaked wheat should have been stated.

I tried my latest batch next to a 4 pack of HH IPA I picked up last weekend. I liked my beer, but the original was better.

First the bottled version in much more bitter than I remember it being on tap. Also more bitter than this clone. My software puts the clone @91 IBUs. Im not a BJCP judge but the HH in bottles seemed much higher than 91.

The hop flavor/aroma I got from the recipe was the same as the bottled version, but not as intense. I think the late additions/dryhops need to be increased by around 25%.

I used washed wlp 001 fermented at 65/66 in my version and the bottle tasted alot cleaner than mine. Its only something you noitce in a side to side, but mine definetly has a slight aftertaste not in the original. Maybe its time to pick up a new vial of 001 or maybe I fermented warmer than the original.

My color seemed a little darker than the bottled version, I think I may be toasting the flaked wheat a little too much.

I just came into a stack of citra, simcoe and columbus, as soon as I can get some centennial Im going to try my third batch of this recipe and increase late additions by 25%.

Back