Imperial Stout - Primary Only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chronlord

Reaction score
Greetings, all. My first post here. Just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for contributing here. I've learned a lot reading your posts in the past couple years.

I have a batch of Imperial Stout that has been sitting in a primary fermenter (5 gal. carboy) since I brewed it back in November of 2011.

I ended up moving shortly after I brewed the batch and I never took the time to transfer to secondary.

So, quick question: Did I ruin this batch by leaving it in a primary with the yeast cake for over 7months? I'd love to salvage it, but won't waste my time if it's going to taste bad.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

There's only one way to know if it tastes bad! ;)

After you taste a sample, if it tastes good I'd bottle it up and age it for a few more months. If it were me...

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? I'll give it a taste today. :)

What are some of the "off" flavors one might expect from a beer sitting on a yeast cake for so long?

Thanks!

Meaty would be what you'd get from autolysis, but if the temperature didn't get too high, that should not be a problem.

Thanks much, gents!

If it tastes like mushrooms and meat, I might bottle anyway ... and call it "Stroganoff Stout". Or not .... :D

To me autolysis smells like burn't rubber. Put some yeast slurry in the fridge for 6 months and you will find out what it is like.

Just smell and taste the beer, and if you find it drinkable, then go for it.

With the exception of Lambics, I've never left a beer in primary for that long, but have had plenty that have done that stretch in secondary.

Actually you can use that liquid as a base to make an excellent beer based beef stew :) No really...why not. Make a beer bourginone.

I just got around to testing it yesterday. It tastes fantastic! Better than the one I brewed last year to give out as Xmas presents. No off flavors present at all.

Carb'd it up in a keg and now the hard part -- waiting to bottle around Xmas time. 'Course it's 100 degrees right now, so at the end of the day I'm not really clambering for a heavy Imperial Stout anyway. Hope my self-control lasts through the Fall though.

Back