Tippy Dump Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br1dge

Reaction score
I am in the process of building my new rig and one of the features I want to incorporate is a tippy dump so I can easily clean out my MLT. I have seen a few around but wanted to see if I could get some input from people that have implemented this successfully. So if you have a tippy dump on your brew stand what do you think of it? Pictures would be great. What would you do different? Ease of use? What is your Tippy setup?

Any input is greatly appreciated and I will be sure to post pics of mine when finished. :mug:

About 1/3 of our customers request them.

Highligted.jpg

Dump2.png

P1040342.jpg

P1040970.jpg

This one is a 1+ BBL all electric. Two kettles will be rotating on flange bearings.
P1050155.jpg

What is the point of this? The rigs all look great but I don't understand the application.

Do you do all grain? The weight of soggy spent grain and the temperature of hot mash are the reason for a tilt mechanism.

So if you have a tippy dump on your brew stand what do you think of it? Pictures would be great. What would you do different?
Nothing.

Ease of use?
Yes, if let go will return to its original position.

What is your Tippy setup?
Tippy dump is only on my small mash tun, manhole for the larger one.

6c60ccd7.jpg

Tun5.jpg

100_4118.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Wow Claudius. Work of art. Love the "Grain Hopper"

Thanks for the photos OneHoppy guy. Why 2 tippy dumps on the 1BBL?

Oh my word Claudius! Combine your equipment with kladue's and you have the ultimate brewing machine.

I like the idea of the flange bearings but Im not sure I left myself enough room on my stand to successfully pull that off. I am thinking something more along the lines of the additional tray with hinges however Im trying to figure out how to make this work to truly make things easy. If its just a tray with hinges and a handle then you are essentially still having to lift 100+ lbs of grain and MLT to dump the grains. Has anyone ever done any kind of mechanical tippy dump? Would be pretty cool to push a button and have your stand dump itself. Obviously it would need some safety feature so you arent dumping in the middle of a batch on accident but have to think something like this could work?

OK, my design nerve is tickled. I'm using a 10g round igloo cooler for a MT, it will be mounted on my rig about 4' off the ground. With all that being said, would I benefit from this or at that scale of brewing and with a mash tun that light am I going to need a tippy dump or would I likely be OK just toting it? I mean how many pounds of grain am I likely to be using brewing 10ish gallon batches?

I have been considering building some type of dumping system for my stand (2-tier) and am liking the ideas so far, now i just need to draw up a design and break out the welder. I recently brewed on a MoreBeer 2050 which had the tippee dump and it definitely makes cleanup much easier.

Regarding how many pounds of grains for 10 gallon batches, you could be using up to 30+ lbs depending on the FG gravity for the beer you're brewing, so I'd still say tou could benefit from a dumping mechanism.

Claudius, what is the name of the black "cradle" that holds the rotating rod? I like that you can easily remove the kettles with your setup, but can't seem to find what that piece is called. Thanks in advance!

Back