Signs your beer may be past prime....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkensatyr

Reaction score
Ever go buy a new craft beer from the store? Sure we all have. You get a little excited that you are trying a new beer to you, and then it hits you......... This beer has gone WELL past it's prime.

The "sign" I got today was after getting home with a 12 pack assortment box (mind you the thick cardboard box should stop the UV damage) was opening the box up to reveal the thickest layer of dust I have EVER seen on BOXED bottles. That was the OK part.... It was the spider webs that PACKED the box that concerned me. How long has this thing sat on the shelf you ask? That I cannot answer but the bottles are dated over 2 years ago. Oh well, maybe they will still be good. Well, if the stale taste of the IPA (the one that was brewed for long term storage mind you) with the soapy aftertaste don't leave me very excited about the other 11. We shall see though.

Any "Signs" you guys have found? This could be a fun game...

Man, that sucks! Can't you return the beer? What kind of beer was it? Most beers usually have a good turnover rate. Or was the beer in the corner of the store? I usually buy 22oz bottles, so I can see that the bottle is clean. If I saw dust I wouldn't think it might be past it's prime, but it depends on the beer. However, in your situation you could not tell beforehand.

It is a new beer store, so I don't blame the store. They have only been open about 6 months, and this is the 1st time I have seen this brand. In Texas it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to return alcohol or even exchange it due to laws. *Shrug* no biggie, I have had enough that the slight buzz is overpowering the taste!

Sign #2 The Craft beer section is the one that is about a half an inch from the HUGE western facing window

Oh yeah! Central is the only place in Dallas I have walked into and DROOLED!!! We went over the weekend and stocked up on all kinds of goodies. This was a 12 of J W Dundee from a little beer store up the street from me. Central Market is about 20 min. from me so I don't go that often, but you are right their beer selection and prices can NOT be beat here!

Ledger Liquor in Berkeley carries a great selection of imported beers. i buy the augustiner (sp?) export there a lot. it's really expensive, tho, and a lot of their beers have been sitting on their shelves a long time. they have a lot of big windows and a lot of light, so figure the beer is not safe in there, even if it is supposed to be aged.

luckily, when they price the beers, they tag it with the date. i'm assuming this is when it arrives at their store, so i get a general idea of when it arrived. this has helped get some fresh(er) imported hefes.

Get a hold of the brewery, eh.......and tell them that you heard, uh..... that when you find, uh...... cobwebs in your beer box, eh....... you get a free case of beer, eh!

Another red flag is a clear bottle. ;) Unless it's Steel Reserve.....that stuff is better skunked. :drunk:

There is a little liquor store here in town that must be stocked 30%(of the whole place!) with import and craft brews from anywhere in the world you can think of. The problem is that their main business comes from the skid row people buying cheap booze and malt liquor, so none of it moves. Most of them have a layer of dust and about half are a year old or better. It's one of the few places I can find Pale Nectar Ale.

Back