HOMEBREW COST - The Addiction: My $$$ Per Pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. It is now time to get brewing. However, 50 gallons in a little over 2 months is a bit insane. Especially since I'm the only one drinking.
I've done almost 80 gallons since I started in late August. So I'm averaging about 20 gallons a month too. :mug:

OP's originally calculations are missing one major item. Resale or salvage value of the equipment. If you spend $3,000 on a brewing setup there is a good chance that you could turn around and sell it for (pick a number), let's say $1500. All of a sudden you are looking at pints costing a much more reasonable $4.00 or so. LOL

I no longer keep track of anything related to equipment costs as it is way too painful.

I no longer keep track of anything related to equipment costs as it is way too painful.

Painful? I look at it as a conquest? Sell stuff? Never. I make the money & I spend the money. When I bought my chest freezer & Ranco, I successfully hid it in my home office closet for 3 weeks...then one day my wife came in while I was dicking around on the computer...

Wife: What's that humming noise?
Me: What humming noise?
Wife: There's a humming noise...I hear it.
Me: I don't hear a humming noise.
Wife: There's a humming noise...it sounds like it's coming from your closet.
Me: Oh, that's probably my chest freezer.

As long as my wife isn't here when the UPS guy comes I didn't buy anything. Everything I own I've had for years. ;)

well played! did she get midevel on yo ass over it?

$138 yesterday and $270 today on equipment and I still have to wire the Ranco. ts worth it in the end, i already did all this with my wine making but in the end life is simple making your experience fun and not a hassle.

I want to punch you in the teeth through my ****ing monitor.

The more I think about this, the more it irritates me. I'm not getting into an argument, I just want to put it out there that it's a pretty inappropriate response. This thread seems more like an opportunity for you to brag about how much money you can spend than how much you love brewing. To have started brewing 2 months ago, spent a crap-load of money, and posted over 900 times is just a bit much. A lot of your posts border on being inflammatory, including wanting to punch me in the teeth. It all seems a little juvenile or compensatory. That's all for me on this thread. I'm not getting into a pi$$ing contest, just wanted to say my piece.

I apologize to all of you great people that just took the time to read this.

The more I think about this, the more it irritates me. I'm not getting into an argument, I just want to put it out there that it's a pretty inappropriate response. This thread seems more like an opportunity for you to brag about how much money you can spend than how much you love brewing. To have started brewing 2 months ago, spent a crap-load of money, and posted over 900 times is just a bit much. A lot of your posts border on being inflammatory, including wanting to punch me in the teeth. It all seems a little juvenile or compensatory. That's all for me on this thread. I'm not getting into a pi$$ing contest, just wanted to say my piece.

I apologize to all of you great people that just took the time to read this.

I apologize, sincerely. However, you clearly stated that the whole premise of this thread is "silly". Therefore, you insinuate that I am "silly". I'm not bragging, and my post count has nothing to do with anything. I was hoping to get what I got...a discussion about the capital investment in the hobby. Again, I apologize for wanting to punch you in the teeth.

just caught this thread. I think it's pretty cool what you're doing. I've forgotten (rather purposefully) how much I've spent on equipment. I have to say, doing what you are doing would constantly remind me of what I was spending, and therefore make me second guess anymore investments. That said, my forty plus AG batches and equipment still don't come close to your investment. But then again, I purposefully forget how much I spend so it doesn't deter me from brewing more.

You sir have no guilt. I like that.

My two cents about the money thing. I am a dirt poor University student. I have fallen ass backwards into this hobby and am obsessed with it like many of you. but the reason why I got into it was because of the cost factor. I have hardly spent any money on equipment so that I can keep the cost per pint to a minimum. you bet your ass though that as soon as I have finished law school and am working I will go nuts though

But right now its just as much a cost effective way to get my buzz as it is a hobby that I love.

Great thread.... some people need to relax a little.

I fell into the hobby over 5 yrs ago. I pride myself for not spending a fortune but I never tracked my total costs. But I'd guesstimate the hardware cost is under $2K.

I have several house ales that I produce for under $15 per 10 Gal. I don't calculate propane or equipment costs. Equipment costs need to be amortized over a number of years... I'm there, now that's free. IMO.

If I could calculate my propane more accurately, I'd add it in... but I like to tell people it's 15 cents per pint...

I'm certainly happy I haven't kept a running total of costs. If so then there would be incriminating evidence of how financially unhealthy this hobby is for me right now. (new house, wedding planning, need a new car, need a new roof, etc...)

I would like to think that I am only cresting on $1,000, but knowing that I've spent $250 on pumps and $135 on 3 of my 7 pots and knowing that I never walk out of the LHBS spending under $100 (even when I go multiple days in a row) I'm almost positive it has surely exceeded $1,000, maybe $2,000 by now. I would guess the next $1,000 will be spent by the end of the next month or two as I finish my single tier rig.

Though when the SWMBO asks, I probably haven't spent more than $500 or so...

demotivational-posters-zombies.jpg

I am a COnstruction estimator for both large and small communications projects so I was estimating my costs per beer even before I bought the first thing. I have went as cheap as you can and still be super serious with the hobby. I have 2 free refridgerators from craigslist, buy most ingredients in bulk through a brew club, got a 9 gallon pot and burner for $50 from Sams club,wash yeast, etc,etc. With that said I would say I have around $1,200.00 in "capital costs" and not really sure for ingredients. I have a sacks of grain for ~$30 and hops for ~10/lb, but I never cheap out when making the beer I want to. I hit up BMW ( they are just 10 miles from me) frequently for all the small things to make my beers over the top. So beers cost me( capital cost aside) between $0.25-$.75/pint.

:off: I would never be a CPA. I don't care about the pennies, and you guys can make the numbers say whatever you want them to. I argue with CPA/controllers all the time to get the information I actually need to be correct. ANyway screw the numbers and have a homebrew..:mug:

# of batches = 10

Your problem is obvious and the solution is simple... You need to drink more! If you drink more you can brew more; thus reducing your per-pint cost. think "economies of scale"... :D

This thread has been a big relief for me. So far in this hobby, I have spent just under $1400.00 in equipment. Thank Cathulu for a nice tax return and an understanding SWMBO (also, my pimp hand is strong as well!) I was thinking that my costs were way out of line, but now its clear that there is a long way to go before we get to 'way out of line.' And a good thing too, as I still need to get a third keg for an HLT, build a single tier, buy a pump, and get a keezer or kegerator going. I started keeping track of how much all this stuff was costing me when I told the wife about spending over $600.00 at Norcal Brewing Solutions (two full size FB's), Barginfittings (3 ball valves, weldless fittings and a dipitube), Brewer's Hardware (some tri-clover fittings, racking cane) and Ebay (got two tri-clover attachable diptubes for easy removal) My wife just sighed and said, "This WILL be cheaper than buying beer, eventually, right?" Of course, honey.
I have brewed 25 gallons of beer so far, in five gallon batches. I have not kept track of ingredient costs, but just in equipment costs, my beer is $7.00/pint. Of course, it is a hobby, the equipment will amortize over time, and could be sold if needed, so I am not freaking out, but still. I am amazed at how fast it goes.

Well, I've only taken 2 semesters of accounting, and am working on my business degree. I like to justify certain purchases as assets that could easily be liquidated on craigslist if I ever wanted to. That way your just trading a cash asset for an equipment asset that could be traded back for a cash asset. : )

This is why marriages don't last. I'm not saying you specifically will fail, but seriously. How can this BS continue in a relationship. Now I love brewing as much as the next guy and am always looking toward the next upgrade but this is out of hand. My wife tolerates my obsession because I am very honest and open about it.

"My ADDICTION" - you pegged it.

Do you walk past Great Fermentations on the way to work ? You must get paid twice a month since that seems to be the frequency you bought stuff.

Strategy for reducing pint costs:
1. Sell old equipment: $ paid - $ made = new value of $ paid
2. Park somewhere else
3. Start thinking variety. "I can't move to 10gal batches, then it'll take me even longer
before I can brew the next style."
4. Show your wife your spreadsheet along with the rest of the stuff you spend money on.
You wanted to know a method...
5. Buy bulk grains, hops, etc. Hops are expensive at $/oz. but way cheap at $/lb.
6. Wait 4 weeks after you decide you want something before you actually buy it.

:mug:

To the OP: do you have an updated sheet?

My guess is that your cost is dropping, but then again you see to like buying equipment. I mean you bought a 20 qt pot and then the next day bought a 30 qt pot.

I love seeing the lay out though. $8 a pint isn't even to ridiculous, and you have over 3k invested with 10 batches. My guess is if you are brewing lighter summer beers then that cost has dropped way down.

that's what i'm sayin. i don't have a ton of extreme eqpt. i do have a brewstand, and the kegs for hlt, brewing, and mashing, and a self-made kegerator, etc. i bet i'm still at less than 50 cents a pint, and declining every pint, but i don't care

I have fully justified my hobby. I figured the cost of what would buy (Commercial) if I was not brewing my own. In my case, the place down the street sells a 6er of Golden Monkey for $20. Thats 3.33 a bottle. Now I take my batch of GM Clone which is really close now and brew 10 gallons at roughly 100 bottles a batch. that comes out to 333.33 dollars worth of beer. I spent 56 dollars in ingredients and 30 in packaging (Freecycled bottles and oxyclean) which yields me 247.33 to spend on equipment. 10 batches worth of savings is 2473.33.

There is some logic in there somewhere but I pay for my equipment and upgrades.with my savings. Buy everything in bulk except yeast.

I love this thread. I figured out my cost figuring all equipment, all ingredients, no electricity, no gas, nothing I will use for other stuff. My equipment cost is currently $740.25. Ingredient cost for 5 batches so far is $164 rounded. Cost per bottle is $3.62. I have a plan to buy equipment for all grain before my SWMBO graduates and we get married because our other expenses will sky-rocket. I hope to be below $2 a bottle eventually, but am not really worrying about it. I like keeping track in a handly little spreadsheet.

Before October 9th, I wasn't a brewer. On October 9th, I was stumbling on StumbleUpon to kill some time before the weekend. I hit a homebrew site. Since then, I have spent...and spent...and spent.

Hi, my name is Doc, and I'm an addict.

costperpint.jpg

3000+ on stuff and not a single photo of the brew set up? Whats up with that?

Well, I've only taken 2 semesters of accounting, and am working on my business degree. I like to justify certain purchases as assets that could easily be liquidated on craigslist if I ever wanted to. That way your just trading a cash asset for an equipment asset that could be traded back for a cash asset. : )

I did that. Ran out of time to brew this school year and was looking to move home for the summer w/o hauling all my gear. Turned around and sold 'bout a grand worth of gear for.... 'bout a grand :rockin: Once I finish grad school and I'm making the big bucks (hopefully) I'm going to jump back in with both feet- an automated brew rig, conicals, and a keezer. Then I'll be doing the exact same thing Doc did here and whiddle down my cost per pint.

$8.00 a pint. It's like buying beer at a professional sporting event.

When you get 50 batches in your cost will be so much less. Heck your first batch was close to $25 a pint.

Thread from the dead, but it was calculated wrong.

You need to capitalize your investments - and depreciate them over the estimated life of them. They're still valuable to you and to someone else.

An alternative method would be to reduce the total cost, by the resale value of all your equipment. Then you'll get a better picture of how much your beer really costs.

This is especially helpful if you have a SWMBO.

From the top of my head, it's cost me about $300 for three fermenters and all the necessary equipment (except bottle capper, I'm still borrowing one), six batches of beer and a batch of apfelwein. That's about $8.75/gallon.

I buy bulk grain & hops and harvest my own yeast.. Not sure what my equiptment costs were I would guess around $500 - $700 but my price per batch is right around $10-12 for 5 gal, a little more if including propane... That comes out to about .25-.30 per pint...

Back