Show Me Your Toolbox Pumps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have my chugger on order and am thinking of mounting it in a toolbox. If I have room, I might put all my switches and GFCI outlets inside with it.

If you did this, please post some pics of how you mounted it, along with the wiring.

:mug:

i just scared the **** out of myself in an attempt to be a smart ass.

I thought it would be funny to post a pic of a penis pump here with the comment "this is how I pump my tool".

Well, "funny penis pump" on google image search gave me some horrible, terrifying images. Apparently "funny" is interpreted as "aweful injury from using a".

I'm doubled over in phantom agony right now.... and I need eye bleach.

i just scared the **** out of myself in an attempt to be a smart ass.

I thought it would be funny to post a pic of a penis pump here with the comment "this is how I pump my tool".

Well, "funny penis pump" on google image search gave me some horrible, terrifying images. Apparently "funny" is interpreted as "aweful injury from using a".

I'm doubled over in phantom agony right now.... and I need eye bleach.

Wouldn't "toolbox pump" be the inverse of "penis pump"?

:p

Here is my toolbox pump!

Fitting the space to be cut for the pump
1950-fitting-space-cut-pump.jpg

The pump is on a single pole switch to turn off and on.

I did have to extend the magnet inside the pump housing to accommodate for the toolbox plastic and longer screws to mount the housing to the pump through the toolbox.

Lid closed ready to go somewhere
1952-mounted-pump.jpg

Mounted pump with accessories
1957-mounted-pump-accessories.jpg

All I have to do now is add my cam locks and ball valve and this baby is ready to rock and roll!

Here are a few shots of my toolbox pump in my gallery:

P1071237.JPG

P1071239.JPG

P1071240.JPG

P1071241.JPG

GFCI outlet is wired to the black cord that extends out through the side of the toolbox and plugs into your power source.
Rocker switch is spliced inline to the red extension cord.
Pump is plugged into the red extension cord.
Red extension cord is plugged into the GFCI outlet.

I don't have any convenient pics of mine, and it is currently locked up out in the garage so I'm not planning to take any soon, but mine looks similar to DakotaRules, except I used a different pump that has hose barbs instead of threaded connections, and my toolbox is one of those ugly Home Depot Homer boxes.

I bought an extra outlet to mount into the box as well, but haven't really needed it so I haven't bothered putting it in there yet.

The only reason why I pulled all this out of the garage, is that i was reading someone else's post, where they left a little water in their chiller and it froze and broke. So I got worried about mine, pulled out the snow blower and cleaned the driveway. This way I could pull all my gear and check it out because I was worried! Just another excuse to play with my gear.

That looks almost like my chiller, but I have short garden hose attaches on the water side.

The garden hose attaches to the immersion chiller and acts as a pre chiller if I add ice right now it just runs through cause it's nice and cold here in Boston. And I can lager in a garbage can that I fill with snow.

Not the best pics in the world but this is what I ended up making for a friend of mine. It was somewhat of a shame to cover up that stainless steel head on the chugger, but at least it is balanced in the toolbox.

:mug:

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_03112.JPG

IMG_03136.JPG

i set mine up to heat, chill and move liquid. all plug and play.

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

Very nice! Does it get hot in there? Did you go with RTD's to account for this? I really dig your layout....can you show pics of it closed?

I did have to extend the magnet inside the pump housing to accommodate for the toolbox plastic and longer screws to mount the housing to the pump through the toolbox.

Where did you get the new magnet from? I bought one of these chugger pumps and for some reason the impeller wouldn't spin. I took the stainless steel housing off and the motor spun just fine. I'm thinking there's something wrong with the magnet or impeller. Any thoughts??

Very nice! Does it get hot in there? Did you go with RTD's to account for this? I really dig your layout....can you show pics of it closed?

I haven't had a heat issue yet. It has been really cold here in Boston. i hate to sound dumb but "rtd's" what is that???
I'll get some outside pics soon need a day off first.:mug:

BrewerRick said:
Where did you get the new magnet from? I bought one of these chugger pumps and for some reason the impeller wouldn't spin. I took the stainless steel housing off and the motor spun just fine. I'm thinking there's something wrong with the magnet or impeller. Any thoughts??

I didn't get a new magnet, just make sure the magnet isn't touching the housing. I had to adjust mine when I put the space between the housing. Once you have the housing off you can adjust the set scree holding the magnet and adjust as necessary. Hope that helps. But if not ask away.

Here's mine
DSC_00941.JPG

LG 5-md-hc , ranco controller with a prob placed on the outlet of the pump and a 230V fan

He made it for me but he has brewed two batches of beer and posted pictures of it. When do I get to use it! lol

023.jpg

022.jpg

024.jpg

So here are the updated pics of my brewing box. The power comes in from the opposite end from the liquid supply.

seriously dude that is the sweetest pump/chill/heat RIMS box I cold ever imagine. I am really jealous.:fro:
Im going tomorrow to see about building one.

had a thread for it awhile back but will throw the pics in here, Here is mine, rolling model with room for hoses and extra misc brewing things.
Click on the thumbnails for bigger pics:

Latest posts

Back