This is scary - Micropub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
http://www.micropub.com/

process_compare.JPG

When using the MICROPUB® Brewing Station, the most difficult and time consuming steps of the brewing process are already done for you. Under the supervision of our Brewmaster, the worts are produced to our specifications, then reduced to 80% solids by removing the water inside a vacuum allowing easy shipment and storage. This process maintains the delicate balance of the wort. You introduce the Concentrated Wort Extract (CWE) into your MICROPUB® Brew Kettle with water, and boil. You then add our special blend of Hops provided with each batch kit to add flavor and aroma. The brewing stage is now complete.

It's the Mr. Beer of Brewpubs.

Well, I don't know. I've had some pretty horrible all grain brews and some pretty good extract brews. I don't particularly agree that a brewpub should really be brewing extract, but it's not the worst thing that can happen as long as the end product is drinkable.

It's turning a brewpub into a standardized product. It's like going to a steakhouse, ordering a T-bone, and having them turn around and pull a pre-cooked one out from under the heat lamps.

Brewpubs should be showcases of great beer. They should take pride in what they brew and their head brewer should be the crown jewel of the establishment.

Extract based brewing at the pro level just isn't cost effective either, but people keep selling the gear.

Years ago I went to a pub with this concept with Michael Jackson, the write, not the boy toucher, and it was really bland. What Jackson pointed out was it takes away the creativity of the brewer, the uniqueness of the pub and the freshness of product produced fresh on hand.

I will be surprised if the idea flies.

Isn't this the same thing that places like granite city do? I watched a huge liquid tanker pull up to the restraunt in Lincoln and hook this giant hose up to a fixture in the wall. I asked this dude who introduced himself as the head brewer there and he said it was the wort that they make some place in Iowa and ship to all of their franchised locations. I suppose it keeps the beer tasting identical no matter where you drink it. So by head brewer he meant yeast adder and fermentation tank cleaner.

Yea, this seems like a strange idea. I would absolutely agree with the King of Pop about this process mostly removing the art of brewing and freshness from the "brew pub" - and to be honest I just don't see what the big whoop is. If you are going to invest the money to start a brew pub, why not just go all the way and actualy make the beer yourself?!? It just seems very half-assed.

...Though it reminds me of a few years back when I had a transmission replaced in my Chevy Caprice. I went to pick it up and the mechanic told me "It wasn't back yet" - which blew my mind. They were actually sending the car to another business to do the work. After a brief argument (my point what that either HE is making nothing, or the actual job cost is being marked up so both businesses benefit) I found myself driving across town to pay for and pick up the car from the people who actually did the work.

Brewpastor said:
What Jackson pointed out was it takes away the creativity of the brewer, the uniqueness of the pub and the freshness of product produced fresh on hand.

Seriously, and that is pretty much what the whole concept of a brewpub is in a nutshell.

Hmm, I wonder....

You know in some states owning a brewery license is a way to serve your own product without aquiring a liquor license. I wonder if this ties into that somehow. Whereas in one area a liquor license might be untouchable in terms of price, a brewery license may not. Just a thought.

You know what's funny about Granite City? Supposedly they don't add their yeast until the wort gets to the final destination. Apparently if yeast is pitched before it crosses the state line it's considered beer and they would have to pay a federal tax or something to that effect.

Sounds to me like it's a good way to get an infection. I do have to say that their beer is fairly unremarkable.

This Micropub thing sounds like something someone would do if they don't give a crap about brewing, but want to run a brewpub because they think it will be a good business investment.

Old thread, I know, but these things are spreading all over military bases. I had a beer done by the "micropub" in Yokosuka naval base in Japan, and it was amazingly bad. One swallow and I was done, and that was before the aftertaste kept getting worse. Why the military morale, welfare and recreation folks are so sold on these things is beyond me. Has anyone anywhere had a decent beer made (can't bring myself to say brewed) by one of these establishments?

Ick.

It would make sense to use a system like this if you're in the service and don't mind throwing it out if you get deployed.

Latest posts

Back