Tri-clamp through-bulkhead fixture?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuertele

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm designing my brewery upgrade and I would like to standardize on Tri-Clover Clamps, preferably sanitary (i.e. no threads). I can figure out how to get tri-clamps most anywhere, but there are a couple places where it seems like the only solution is to introduce threads into the joint. My patch panel is one.

I want to mount my pumps, heat exchanger, heating element, and various and sundry plumbing behind an acrylic panel. My HLT, MT, and BK will have inlet and outlet hoses terminated with tri-clamps. I want to attach these hoses to fixtures on the front of the panel that connect to the plumbing behind. I've never seen a tri-clover fixture made for this and I can't imagine how it could be made without threads.

I can imagine how to create a through-bulkhead fixture with a short MNPT-MNPT nipple and a couple of FNPT-Tri adapters. But I don't want the threads, and I can't weld the fixtures to the acrylic panel.

Any suggestions?

Bulkhead1.bmp

Talk to Derrin, he can probably weld it up for you.

Samc, I am trying to understand what you mean. I think those lock rings could hold a tube with no flanges, but if there are flanges on both sides of the tube, how do I get the tube through the hole?

I think the understanding is that you would have to weld on either the outside or the inside of the box since the tri-clamps obviously won't fit through the tubing OD holes.

Just curious about why you need a patch panel and why mount it in acrylic? Have any system diagrams on hand to help clarify?

The acrylic thing is puzzling. If you are going to do all tri-clamp, pay for custom welding on everything, why not a stainless patch panel and weld to that?

Well, a stainless panel is an option. But I'm going to have lots of bling behind the panel and I thought it would be a shame to hide it.

My current idea is to make the hole in the acrylic just big enough to pass a tri-clover flange, and have a disk welded to the center of the tri-clover tube that covers the hole and bolts onto the acrylic.

If I can't find any better way to do this, I might give up and go for the SS panel. But I'm going to give it more thought.

Samc, I am trying to understand what you mean. I think those lock rings could hold a tube with no flanges, but if there are flanges on both sides of the tube, how do I get the tube through the hole?

Why have flanges? Is that part of the design? I guess I can't figure out what is going on. I assumed it was a tube only passing through the plastic sheet and instead of flanges being welded on you could attach those lock rings and tighten them in place.

Well, a stainless panel is an option. But I'm going to have lots of bling behind the panel and I thought it would be a shame to hide it.

My current idea is to make the hole in the acrylic just big enough to pass a tri-clover flange, and have a disk welded to the center of the tri-clover tube that covers the hole and bolts onto the acrylic.

If I can't find any better way to do this, I might give up and go for the SS panel. But I'm going to give it more thought.

You are starting to sound like ex member who was into bling (most know who I mean). Build something that makes good beer easily.

Latest posts

Back