Post your 2009 Holiday Travel Horror Stories Here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
Since most of the east coast seems to be snowed in, I figure all us holiday travelers will need a landing place for our travel tales. All my remaining travel before the holiday will be in the Rockies, West Coast, and Alaska, so the weather looks pretty good for now.

Since Thanksgiving, I've been in Sacramento, Seattle, Berkeley CA, Baltimore, and Seattle (again). Tomorrow (the 20th), I leave to go from Denver to Wasilla AK. Two days working outside in AK, then a red-eye home through Seattle back to Denver, so I can get in on the afternoon of the 23rd and be home for Christmas Eve.

Today's the 19th, and I've been home for seven days since Thanksgiving. Luckily SWMBO and Kiddo (7) deal with it pretty well.

Also luckily, temps in Wasilla should be pretty warm, with highs in the upper 20's and lows in the teens. Hopefully, I won't have to bump this thread with my version of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

So, anybody stuck yet?

Unlike last year, I suspect I'll be able to get out of my garage. Spent 16 days snow-bound. Got myself a decent chain saw as a post-holiday gift and I'm burning some of the results as I type.

We watched my BIL's kids on Sat/Sun last weekend and they said that after a 2 hour delay in FL, they tried to land twice in ATL but aborted. Then they landed at a nearby regional to add fuel because they were running low. The finally got a connecting in ATL and made it home in Mt. Pleasant by 9:30 pm. They got to the airport at like 5:30 am in FL.

They were supposed to pick the kids up in Reed City at our house, but after hearing their horror story we did them the favor of driving the kids the 45 minutes or so to their house to meet them.

Actually not that bad compared to some stories I've heard of people just not being able to get a flight for a day or two.

Was supposed to drive right through all that stuff to get home to Fredericksburg, but I just bought plane tickets instead. Eh, what are you going to do? Might be ok to drive, but I'd rather be home with my family than put my new car into a ditch in the mountains.

Back