Any ideas of what to do with leftover 1 gallon Stout in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltown2001

Reaction score
So the last batch of stout, I made 6 gallons because it turned out really good last time, and I wanted it to last me through winter. The other idea I had was to experiment with the extra 1 gallon of stout that I saved when I decided to bottle the other 5 gallons. I thought about trying some vanilla bean or even star anise, but I was reading the star anise you add to the boil before fermentation, and the vanilla bean you let soak in vodka for 3-4 days and then add to the beer. I almost forgot about it too, and have been meaning to try something with it. For the specs, it is an oatmeal stout, OG is 1.050, FG is 1.018, and it was in primary for two weeks, and is sitting in secondary 1 gallon carboy for 2 weeks and counting. Any brilliant ideas out there for me to try? :eek:

The vodka's a good way to sanitize stuff before you put it in the beer. Go nuts, try whatever you want... Vanilla bean oatmeal stout sounds good to me!

i've used the vodka method for anise as well. works great, but beware that a VERY little anise goes a long way.

the other nice thing about the vodka method is that you can experiment (use a measured amount of vodka and anise so you can repeat your results). try adding 1/4 tsp to a pint and see how it tastes. too weak add 1/2 tsp next time, too strong add 1/8 or add 1/4 to a liter. you can count drops too, but that's less accurate. i think it was randy mosher that suggested using a syringe.

so then once you've got your perfect ratio you can scale it up for the whole batch OR do what i do and just add the spiced vodka to your glass and keep the batch plain.

Put it in a container, throw some uncooked brats in, add some minced garlic and let marinade in the fridge for a couple days before grilling. Best. Brats. Evah.

Back