Autumn Seasonal Beer Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just FYI, I found the canned pumpkin here in NC at Harris Teeter.

pumpkin001.jpg

Also, for all those who converted down to a 5 gallon batch, or Yuri please chime in also...how much pumpkin do you recommend to mash with?

Just pulled this from primary and racked onto spiced tea...It sat on the trub for about 2 weeks and I plan to let it sit another 2 in the secondary.

Gravity was on point *I did the extract version*.

Question though...Is this one of those beers that tastes amazing from the hydro sample but tastes amazingly awesome after carbing up? I tasted the sample post spice tea addition and man it was on freaking point!

Can't wait to knock some back on thanksgiving!

My plan to make this a little extra fancy is to make a mixture of crushed gingerbread, cinnamon plus(very little), and some orange colored decorating sugar and coat the rim of the glass margarita style...Just to be festive ;)

3 days into fermenting and the temps are holding solid at 68F. Bubbling has slowed to 1 every 8-10 seconds. I plan on waiting another week until the rack to secondary/spice tea.

I'm gonna do it right this time, and probably swamp cooler the secondary as well. I have a surprisingly perfect fermentation chamber in my house that I didn't even think about prior to this brew. It's a fairly large linen cabinet in my bathroom. Ambient air temp is 72F.

I brewed this on Tuesday and it smelled awesome! I added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon plus during the last 5 minutes of the boil and it smelled like I was cooking pumpkin pie in my garage!

I couldn't find canned pumpkin anywhere. I live in Tulsa OK and every store I went to told me that they havent been able to get any in. I even went to Dallas this weekend for a football game and looked there but they seemed to be out as well.

If anyone else has had a problem finding the canned stuff this is what I did: I bought 1 medium sized baking pumpkin and cut it in half (the grocery stores should have whole pumpkins now). I scooped all the seeds and "gook" out of it and placed it on a baking sheet open side down. The pumpkin then went into the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour. You'll know its about done when the shell starts to sag and the pumpkin begins to exude a watery substance. Once it was cool enough I used an icecream scoop to scoop all of the pumpkin meat into a food processor. Make sure you dont get any of the skin in there. I pureed it till it was the consistency of the canned stuff and from there I followed Yuri's instructions... IE spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes before adding to wort.

Correct me if I'm wrong Yuri but I think this should come out pretty close to the canned stuff. Either way, it's the closest I could get with the apparent shortage we've got going on

For folks in Portland, I couldn't find Libbey's canned pumpkin at any of the conventional supermarkets, but I did find organic canned pumpkin at the Food Front co-op. You could also try New Seasons, I bet they have brands other than Libbey's. And, randomly, Portland Pet Supply on Hawthorne is selling 100% pumpkin in cans, meant for people who want to give their dogs something to calm their stomachs. Heh.

I'm going to try Yuri's 6 gallon version tomorrow, just have to find that cinnamon plus and I'll be set! Is that something you can buy in stores, usually?

No pampered chef stuff is not something you will find in stores you have to order it but you can easily make it yourself or probably just get away using that pumpkin pie spice mix which smells about the same *you can find this easily*.

Ok cool, just brewed up about 6 gallons of this, no problems sparging thanks to the rice hulls! I went with Wyeast 1099, and a teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice. I plan to add more spice, lactose, and possibly pumpkin extract at bottling if I think it needs it. Definitely going for a sweet pumpkin pie sort of flavor. :)

Just racked mine to keg last night and wow the Pumpkin is back! The flavor must have been covered by the yeast still that last time I took a sample because its back baby! :ban:

Now I need to force myself not to start drinking it yet!

I'm planning on using real pumpkin, in fact I may mash in one and then ferment in one (but only 1 gallon fermenting in a pumpkin in case it goes sour). I wanted to put my electric element in the 3rd one I grew and boil in it, but I think the pumpkin would just sag and leak during the boil.

Anyway as for the addition of pumpkin to the mash, would leaving the skin on be a bad thing?

For the extract recipe, what's the point of baking the canned pumpkin if you're just going to boil it for an hour? Seems that boiling it for an hour will cook it plenty and may even be able to pull more taste out of the pumpkin. No?

For the extract recipe, what's the point of baking the canned pumpkin if you're just going to boil it for an hour? Seems that boiling it for an hour will cook it plenty and may even be able to pull more taste out of the pumpkin. No?

Baking will caramelize some of the sugars in the pumpkin, something boiling doesn't generally do.

I like this recipe. I am going to start it tomorrow. I have some fresh hops from a friend. I would like to know if I should use them instead of the Kent Goldings. Looking for some advice. I have Fresh Nugget, Mt. Hood, Cascade, and Zeus. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Yuri,

I racked to secondary from primary today (I use a white bucket for my primary) and I noticed that there wasn't much of a krausen ring left behind. There was a small 3/4" band around the top of the beer but it was pretty much clean above that. This is only my 3rd batch but the previous 2 I have done had a much larger ring almost all the way up to the lid.

I was worrying that the initial fermentation may have stalled? On the other hand, maybe this particular recipe has a less aggressive fermentation? My airlock was bubbling away for 3 or 4 days so I'm probably worrying for nothing but I was just wondering what you thought or if anyone else had any thoughts

quixand - you spice the beer, not the pumpkin. Use the 100% pumpkin, not the pie mix.

TBL - you need a hydrometer. There's no way to diagnose your beer based on the information you gave above. First, RDWHAHB (it's probably fine). Then, get a hydrometer.

When looking around for canned pumpkin today, I found that the rumors of a pumpkin shortage are indeed true. I'm in Portland, OR and could not find canned pumpkin at Fred Meyer, Wild Oats, or Zupans. A search online from someone that emailed Libby's revealed this response:

Dear Ms. Bouldin,
Thank you for contacting Libby’s® 100% Pure Pumpkin.
I am sorry that you are having a difficult time finding Libby’s Pumpkin. Due to unfavorable weather conditions last fall, some of the pumpkin did not meet our high quality standards. Therefore, our harvest was smaller than typical and you may have some difficulty finding Libby’s Pumpkin.
We are in the process of harvesting our pumpkins and you will be able to find it in all sizes within the next few weeks.
We appreciate your interest and hope you will visit our website often for the latest information on our products and promotions.
Sincerely,
Tara Williams
Consumer Response Representative
Ref: N17000232

I was curious about whether I should buy some of the normal orange jack-o-lantern style pumpkins that went on sale in the last couple weeks, but, after again doing some internet research I discovered that may not be the most appropriate option. It seems that Libby's Dickinson Pumpkins, the kind they use for canned pumpkin, are actually a variety of Curcubita moschata, a family of squash that includes the butternut squash, but not jack-o-lanterns. So, if you're looking for actual pumpkin (not canned) to use, a butternut squash may be the best option available. The orange flesh approximates the taste of Libby's Pumpkin better, and it's far easier to cook than the typical Jack-o-lantern Pumpkin (which falls under the family Curcuibita Pepo along with many other decorative gourds).

More info:

It turns out that some canned pumpkin is actually – gasp! – squash. Some manufacturers make "pumpkin" puree from one or more kinds of winter squashes such as butternut, Hubbard, and Boston Marrow, which can be less stringy and richer in sweetness and color.

But before we start crying fraud, it is interesting to note the rather fuzzy distinction between pumpkins and squashes. There are three varieties of winter squashes: Cucurbita pepo, Cucurbita maxima, and Curcubita moschata. C. pepo includes the gourds we traditionally think of as pumpkins, such as the kind used for jack-o'-lanterns. Hubbard and Boston Marrow squashes fall into the C. maxima category, while C. moschata includes butternut squashes as well as the Dickinson pumpkins used by Libby's, the producer of most of the canned pumpkin in North America.

And more:

According to Merriam-Webster's definition, a pumpkin could be any of these squash; Cucurbita pepo, Cucurbita moschata, or Cucurbita maxima. Both other brands of canned pumpkin on the shelf, Libby's and One-Pie, use Dickinson pumpkins (C. moschata), 30-100 lb. tan pumpkins known to be good for canning.

On the surface, the Dickinson pumpkin, Libby's variety, is unappealing. A misshapen, pale sibling to its brighter-colored brethren, the oblong Dickinson averages 20 pounds. It has ridges streaking the rind and looks more like a butternut squash. When ripe, the fruit's skin tends to be a dull gold or tan.

But inside, the sweet-smelling flesh is burnt orange. In comparison to other varieties of pumpkins, there is more flavorful meat per pound: The rind is thinner, the seeds are fewer and the hollow core inside each fruit is smaller.

So, since I can't seem to find any canned pumpkin anywhere, I'm planning on making it much easier on myself and am going the butternut squash route.

You can also use Atlantic giant pumpkins to make pies, or beer. I was reading about one of the breweries that uses Atlantic giant for it's pumpkin additions. I've backed off using the pumpkin as a mash tun, too much time involved. I still wonder what leaving the skin on would do though.

Well I now have 12 pumpkins harvested from my garden this year. Surprising thing is, I planted no pumpkins. They came up from seeds from last year when SWMBO allowed the decorative pumpkins to rot in the front garden. I pulled many of the early plants out of the garden and threw them over the hillside behind my house. They took root again and I now have 12 decent sized pumpkins. I plan to use them to make this recipe up in the next week or so.

I had wanted to get this brew going earlier, but so many things to do and so little time to do them.

Is the recipe in the second post on page 1 (AG) current? Have the changes over time been recorded or updated, so that the recipe listed is the most up to date?

Salute! :mug:

Hey Yuri, I'm planning on brewing this one again but without pumpkin. What would you recommend to get a reasonably orange color:

1. Brew the recipe just without pumpkin
2. Sub Vienna for 2-row
3. Sub Munich for 2-row

Thanks

Well I made up a version of this recipe last night (5 gallon extract) and decided to add the spices at 10 minutes. It smelled and tasted fantastic going into the primary. Can't wait to taste it when it's finished.

I racked to secondary today with it at 1.020 after 12 days in primary...will that drop some more in secondary, or should I do something to help it?

Hey Yuri, I'm planning on brewing this one again but without pumpkin. What would you recommend to get a reasonably orange color:

1. Brew the recipe just without pumpkin
2. Sub Vienna for 2-row
3. Sub Munich for 2-row

Thanks
Brew as is. The pumpkin contributes little color. I've had the opportunity to try a version of my recipe where the brewer omitted the pumpkin. The color and basic flavor was there, but I felt it lacked a bit of body and complexity. I'm convinced that pumpkin does indeed add something to the brew.

I racked to secondary today with it at 1.020 after 12 days in primary...will that drop some more in secondary, or should I do something to help it?

It should continue to ferment and clear in the secondary. Check your gravity in a week or two.

Sorry 'bout that, I'm the FNG. Just wanted to know if it would be better (cleaner) to partial mash the pumpkin with the grains instead of using it in the boil. I'm referring to the extract recipe. Thanks.

You'll need to convert the recipe to partial mash. The extract version doesn't have enough of any base malt. You're probably better off just boiling it, IMHO. Even a full AG recipe makes a ton of trub.

Can you explain the reduction in pumpkin from your first extract recipe? And in your opinion (I want your honest opinion), which is better; adding the spices in the boil or adding tea in secondary? Or do you do both to taste?
Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks a bunch for all your help to new and resurrected homebrewers.

I don't recall a reduction, but rather an increase (to get MORE pumpkin flavor).

When I brew, I undershoot the spices on purpose in the boil, then add a little more after fermentation if required. It's a "living" recipe, so I'm constantly tinkering with it. The first page shows the latest recipe (I edit those posts if I change things).

I had boomarked the original recipe, the hoppy one. Sorry. I see now the addition of pumpkin and reduction of hops.

Aybody know what the proper carb level is for this style? Or is it simply a matter of preference? I repitched about 150 ml of Wyyeast 1098 slurry so would an english bitter carb level be a good place to start? Thanks in advance for any info.

Well Yuri... looks like I'll be brewing this one as well... Going to have to get my hands on some more 2 row for this recipe... Maybe I can brew it this weekend...

I noticed you used s-04 last year... how would you say it compared to the 1098 or WLP002?

I havnt had much luck in attentuation with s-04

Back awhile ago someone mentioned this recipe tasting like lemonade when it was bottled, I noticed that also when I racked it to secondary. However, when I kegged it this past weekend it tasted great!! I can't wait for carbonation to build so I can start drinking it.

Great recipe Yuri...Thanks!!! :mug:

Ok thank you Yuri. I have a few satchets of S-04 on hand so this will be my weekend brew along with a nice clone of Roxy Rolles.

1.8 carbonation seems a bit low...is there a trick to maintain that?

Calculations at 40 degrees would have me set my regulator to 5psi...at that pressure my keg line would only be 1.8ft long?

This is my first time kegging, so I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the whole process.

I guess we're shooting for an english cask draw. I'll try it, can always increase the psi if I don't like it. I was thinking about 2-2.4 but we'll see. Me thinks it's a personal preference. But I'm going with the recipe.

Back