Hi from England

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgenie

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Paul Ladds from Shropshire, England.
I'm an avid brewer and winemaker and have been for 10 years since opening a homebrew store with my wife, Sue.
We currently have four stores now around the Midlands area of UK and really enjoy the business! We get to meet some great brewers. By visiting here I hope to learn about the different methods used to brew around the world.
Homebrewing in this country has been on the decline for a long time but we have noticed a definate turn around in the last 12 months. People are now brewing again here, due mainly to the dramatic improvement in the homebrew products.

Welcome to the Machine!

Four stores....that's a lot of (pleasurable) work.

I envision the most difficult part about owning/running your own store is maintaining the inventory is most like work (barring you have enough customers).

Dopn't be too harsh on the fact that many around here don't use or understand the metric system. :D

Me, I lived in Germany for 9 years so I pretty much have it down.

Later.

Hi Bill,
You're right, it's a lot of work but immense fun at the same time. Perhaps the hardest part is the inventory - it's always hard having enough stock to keep the customers happy but not too much to worry the accountant! Still I hope we get it about right.
I have to say we are busy most of the time, although new customers are always welcome. What we found to be the biggest single improvement to our sales was internet shopping. Its always a good feeling to log on in the morning to find a few orders waiting patiently in a queue!!!
Good to hear from you.
Paul.

Shmohel said:
homebrewer_99 said:
metric system.QUOTE]

Ehhhh.... what is this system you speak of?

I hope you're joking....it's based upon the decimal system (deci or deca meaning 10 (decade = 10 years, century 10 X 10 = 100)).

Not 12 like our inches and 16 like our ounces. More at 10 centimeters (about 4 inches), 500 grams being just over a pound, and 0,5 liter, which is the size of a perfect beer glass in my book! :D

Didn't they teach you this stuff in school? Oh, that's right...they can't teach what they don't know! :mad:

So much for the laws they passed in the 18 and 1900's to put us on the metric system. We're (collectively) the idiots for not using it. :(

Sorry it was a joke, maybe i should have layered some more wit into that one. I'll try harder next time.

Brewgenie-
Why not simplify things for us on this side of the pond ? For instance; if I have ten stone of dark dry malt extract, two stone of Fuggles hops, and a few ( getting vague) bushels of roast barley, how many Imperial gallons of water will I need to turn all this into beer? What , exactly is a stone, and does anyboby use that anymore?
Welcome to the Forum, Good to have you.

Sudsmonkey :D

Shmohel said:
Sorry it was a joke, maybe i should have layered some more wit into that one. I'll try harder next time.

No problem. No harm, no foul. :D :cool:

I know you are new here and we haven't learned each others quirks yet. :D

I'm just as much at fault as yourself.

True, a bit more humor would probably had gotten a laugh or two. :D

You Guys seem very excitable about your measurements!!! I'm glad I didn't start it.
I must admit our old imperial measure is more complicated than metric although I do tend to use it in preference. I still sell products that I weigh out in pounds because I have an old weighing scale that, although totally accurate is in "old money". Our trading standards people (the enforcers in that dept) don't approve, but most of the country is apposed to change and in particular "the European way of doing things".
By the way, a stone is 14 pounds; 8 stone = 1 hundredweight (don't ask) and 20 hundredweight = 1 ton. Although 1 ton is equal to 1.016 tonne.
If your'e not confused then you haven't been paying attention.

I think, Sudsmonkey, you have a touch to much Fuggles there. As for water I would suggest 2 baths and 6 buckets (give or take the odd armfull). Although I do think Imperial water tastes better than metric water - must be the added inch.

Wayne, you'll find us at www.brewgenie.com.

That hurts, bill. Admittedly, some of us do suffer from redness, but to point it out is unnecessary. FYI , Yonder equals roughly half of a might far piece. That armful of water has me baffled, though. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
No problem. No harm, no foul. :D :cool:

I know you are new here and we haven't learned each others quirks yet. :D

I'm just as much at fault as yourself.

True, a bit more humor would probably had gotten a laugh or two. :D

I have been enjoying these boards so far, and look forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

Well Sir, I live in your area roughly. I actually buy my stuff from a store in Keynsham if it is not over the internet. I am not really established in this area though so and it could only be a matter of months before I will be on the move again.

sudsmonkey said:
FYI , Yonder equals roughly half of a might far piece. That armful of water has me baffled, though. :D
I beg your pardon...yonder taint anywhere near half o a might far piece. :mad: Lessn your an ol fart like me. Then yonder might be moren a might far piece. :D

El P-
Sir, I stand corrected. I was going out on a limb with my distance measurement there. Here in Carolina , we graduate at 8th gade, 6th for the really smart kids. I missed out on linear measure. I do know, from my time in Tennessee, that You'uns is three or more of Y'all , which is a minimun of two of You. You, y'all, you'uns, First, second and third person. Ain't we smart ? Brewgenie got me with the " armful equals three slack handfulls" explanation, but to avoid embarrassment, I'm just going to smile and nod.
Wher in the Hell is " Occupied Kingwood" ? Are you with the Resistance, and do we need to set up an airlift like they did in Berlin ? Maybe a Brewlift ?

sudsmonkey said:
Wher in the Hell is " Occupied Kingwood" ? Are you with the Resistance, and do we need to set up an airlift like they did in Berlin ? Maybe a Brewlift ?
Bet yur a$$ I'm with the resistence!!!
Kingwood was once a quite little bedroom community, far to the north of Houston, Takes Us. Storm troopers moved in one day...took our water wells, took our far truks, even took our dad gum parks and green belts. In return wur now allowed to pay extra taxes, and 10 times as much for that putrid green gunk comin out of our fawcets! :mad:
Eminent freaking domain...dad gum right I'm with the resistence!!! :mad:

Oh, almost forgot...hell yeh, airlift me some beer! Better still, boatlift it here...just drop it anywhere in the intercoastal from Florida to Mexico...I'll find it. :D

sudsmonkey said:
El P-

I've been very tempted to ask that as well. I even googled it to try and figure it out but was still confused.

El Pistolero said:
Bet yur a$$ I'm with the resistence!!!
QUOTE]

I kind of suspected that. Going through that where I live right now. Currently am outside Tucson city limits and everyone is trying to annex us. Either Tucson City or a place called Oro Valley (locally called the Gestapo based on their militant police force). Higher taxes and police harrassment. Fight the Fight!!!

El P. -
I'm making the first drop under the bridge at Hobucken , N.C. That's between the Neuse and Pamlico rivers. I'll yry to hide it from the Coast Gaurd Station there. I know some of those guys, they're lushes . There's not much else for them to do there. Will contact later for next drop.

Viva La kingwood !
Sudsmonkey :cool:

Thanks...I'll be looking for it. Just be careful you don't get too close to the coast guard station...they're a lot touchier than in the old days. ;)

sudsmonkey said:
El P. -
I'm making the first drop under the bridge at Hobucken , N.C. That's between the Neuse and Pamlico rivers. I'll yry to hide it from the Coast Gaurd Station there. I know some of those guys, they're lushes . There's not much else for them to do there. Will contact later for next drop.

Viva La kingwood !
Sudsmonkey :cool:
Don't worry about Pistolero, he has two major drop points behind the front lines. They are called Specs and Copperfields. I heard they sometimes recieve daily drops.

Back