Need A Raspberry Melomel Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/raspberry-mead-52762/

There's another recipe in our database for a raspberry melomel, but it got some questionable feedback. If this one doesn't float your boat, you could probably try one of the blueberry recipes, and just replace the fruit to get you where you want to be.

Edited: I just realized that the recipe I linked doesn't have tasting notes included. Maybe steer clear of that one.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/raspberry-mead-52762/

There's another recipe in our database for a raspberry melomel, but it got some questionable feedback. If this one doesn't float your boat, you could probably try one of the blueberry recipes, and just replace the fruit to get you where you want to be.

Edited: I just realized that the recipe I linked doesn't have tasting notes included. Maybe steer clear of that one.

yea that was kind of my issue when searching previously. My only comment on the blueberry is do they come out flavor wise as well as raspberrys?

you've probably seen my thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/my-first-mead-well-melomel-whaddya-think-88924/

And while I will admit it's not proven - it should turn out good (just bottled a few weeks ago). But, I'd cut down on the lime/lemon juice and go with a more aggressive nutrient schedule (read hightest's FAQ's on this forum).

FWIW, in Schramm's book, he says to add the following raspberries in the secondary (for a 5 gallon batch):

mild fruit character - 2-4 lbs
medium fruit - 8-12 lbs
strong fruit - 13 bls or more

good luck and post your recipe and results! :mug:

you've probably seen my thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/my-first-mead-well-melomel-whaddya-think-88924/

And while I will admit it's not proven - it should turn out good (just bottled a few weeks ago). But, I'd cut down on the lime/lemon juice and go with a more aggressive nutrient schedule (read hightest's FAQ's on this forum).

FWIW, in Schramm's book, he says to add the following raspberries in the secondary (for a 5 gallon batch):

mild fruit character - 2-4 lbs
medium fruit - 8-12 lbs
strong fruit - 13 bls or more

good luck and post your recipe and results! :mug:

Yea I have seen it but didnt remember it was a rasp melomel one. I am going to do a little more research and figure something out.
One question for you why would you want a more aggressive nutrient schedule? My first mead I added only at the begining and it did fantastic.

Here's what I did for a black raspberry mead that I just recently bottled. It was already very good at bottling, we will see once it has some more age.

Black Raspberry Melomel 7/19/08 (5 gal)
5# Fresh Black Raspberries (NOT Blackberries - black raspberries are a native fruit of north eastern US)
12# Local wild flower honey
5# Clover honey
Lalvin 71B yeast

1 tsp Wyeast nutrient blend
1 tsp yeast energizer (LD Carson)
2 tsp pectin enzyme
2 tsp yeast nutrient (LD Carson)
5 Campden tablets

With my daughter's help I picked 5# of black raspberries at a local pick your own. The berries were cleaned and placed in a 6.5gal bucket.
I mashed the berries using potato masher. The berries were good and ripe so they mashed easily.
I then added about a gallon of water and the honey, rinsing the honey containers with warm water.
The nutrients, enzyme and campden tablets were then added and the mixture stirred vigorously using a wine whip.
I topped up to just over 5 gal then stirred again to ensure sufficient aeration.
Then I let sit over night to allow the sulphite to partially gas off.
The next morning I rehydrated the yeast, aerated the must once more and pitched.

I would recommend following the SNA using Fermaid-K and rehydrate using GoFerm. I hadn't yet switched to those methods at that time.

The mead finished at 1.008 FG and was a beautiful light purple color. Almost like the blend of a Rose and Red Wine.

I think all you really need to do is start with quality honey and fruit. Follow the SNA and maintain your temps. Raspberries seem to go great in mead and don't require any special "recipe". Just berries and honey.

Craig

One question for you why would you want a more aggressive nutrient schedule? My first mead I added only at the begining and it did fantastic.

I didn't follow the staggered nutrient addition, and darn near ended up with a stuck fermentation and it took almost 4 months to get down to 1.010. The yeasties were probably pretty stressed.

The last melomel I made was raspberry. I didn't use any energizer, just nutrient. Then I thought I had some infection so I racked it off early, and had a stuck fermentation.

So I racked to two 2.5 gal carboys loaded with frozen, thawed and smashed up raspberries.

fermentation renewed, and it turned into a great melomel with medium raspberry flavor. Its the one I have keg'd and carbonated (in my sig).

Back