Tripel high SG after 10 days into fermetation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudybrew

Reaction score
Hey there...

Me and my friends brewed a 160 liters batch of tripel, its been fermenting for 10 days now and the SG reads 1.047 at the moment, og was 1.084.
I think its possible we underpitched or maybe could be the temp, we kept it conditioned between 18-20 Celsius all the time.
We used one sachet of T58 and one of S33, for each yeast we hidrated and then made a 1 liter starter, aerated in a stir plate, and then 36 hours later each was pitched into a 10 liter wort at 1.060 SG to propagate, and then 36 hours later pitched into the fermenter with the 160 Liters.
I want your opinions on how should we proceed now.
Should we repitch? How should we do it? And what yeasts can we use? Should we do the same procedure to propagate?
Should we use now a more attenuating yeast.

Thanks for your help...

Cheers

It's difficult to say without an initial cell count being taken, or how you added oxygen to the wort.

Thanks for eliminating the refrac factor right off.

Don't be too impatient, many of us stayed up a little later than usual last night... :)

Why did you make multi-step starters with dry yeasts in the first place? Why not save the time (and possibly a buck or two if your starters are made with pricy DME) and pitch an extra sachet or two?

Wait another week, take another reading. If the SG is stalled you can do a forced fermentation test to see if the issue is due to crapped out yeast or unfermentables in your wort (search for the test if you're not familiar with it.)

If the wort is fermentable, add more actively fermenting, alcohol-tolerant yeast to finish the job.

If the wort is unfermentable, add enzymes to the stalled beer (like crushed beano tablets or powdered amylase enzyme). Also, replace your mash thermometers as necessary, and mash longer next time.

:mug:

okay... sorry if I was impatient... hehe...
thanks for the tips... will have another look tonight and report tomorrow...
another thing is that for me the DME would come out cheaper than extra sachets of yeast...
I am in Brazil so resources are not like in the US, and the 10 liter wort I did was all grain hehe...
Regarding the mash we used a 65*Celsius for 60 min... and then 15 min at 72...
Thanks again guys

Ok... so i took a measure of the beer yesterday and it read the same...
so I sanitized my paddle and stirred the bottom of the fermenter to bring the yeast up... and then set the temp higher on the thermostat... it will be now between 21-22 Celsius..
Lets see if that will bring any action back to it...
Also I have done 2 new starters of nottingham 800mls each and will pitch them both in 6liters of DME wort... and then to the fermenter...
Will have a look at the forced fermentation test...
Another thing that may have stalled fermentation is the fact that we use a 200 liter conical fermenter and is refrigerated all around it and the thermostat probe is in the center of the fermenter... Do you think that if the thermostat was set to keep the beer between 18-19 Celsius means that at the outer border of the beer it might get as low as 15 degrees for exemple before it gets to 18 in the middle...? I don't know if I am being clear here but i believe this might have had some influence... let me know and I can elaborate this again... cheers

Ok I just read about the forced fermentation test and I want to ask something...
As said on the previous post i am preparing nottinghams yeasts to add up to the fermenter
they are now on 800 mls of dme wort, 2 sachets on diferent containers... could I make the test with the real beer in the fermenter taking say 20 liters, pitch my starters, see if it attenuates, and if it does pitch everything into the fermenter?
Cheers

Take a sample (400ml) add 10g yeast, stir plate with airlock for 24 hours, or maybe 36 as it's a bigger beer. Then measure.

your yeast crapped out because you way underpitched, most likely. i've done the cell calcs for you (see screenshot below) and it looks like you pitched less than half the required number of cells. my numbers are relatively generous (i.e. i'm assuming you got all 220B cells from your dry packets, your OG is a fairly average 1.080, etc) - so it's possibly that you may have pitched only a third as many cells as recommended.

as you can see, pitching two packets into a liter has very little growth effect. that's too many cells pitched into too little wort to have much growth. your current 800ml starters are on the small side too. if you're going to make a starter with a pack of dry yeast, you want to start with 2 liters/packet at the minimum. your current 0.8--> 6.0 will yield 735B cells (again assuming perfect 220B cells in the pack). doing 2.0-->6.0 yields 924B.

what to do now? get some more cells in there ASAP. raising the temp and rousing will help, but pitching starters at high krausen is your best bet.

Yeastcalc-Capture.jpg

Cool man... I did just that... but because my supply of dme was short I had to do just like I said I would... 2 800 mls starters into 6 liters of dme wort... and then to the fermenter... I did rouse yeast last week and set the temp higher... I got my fingers crossed hoping it will come out ok... thanks everyone for the insights... I'll post again next time I read the SG...

Back