Cider Not Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Ok guys, I had some dry Safale-05 and some brown sugar lying around so I figured I would make a 2 gallon batch of cider. Anywho, I bought 2 gallons of pastureized cider, added the brown sugar and sprinkled half of the safale package on top of the mixture. 3 days later no fermentation. I am going to give it until friday and check gravity and taste. If it's not good I am going to dump this batch and head to the local orchard and pick up some unpastureized cider.

I've heard that there are chances that some wild yeast, lacto and pedio(not sure what this is) can be in unpastureized cider. Would a quick boil kill these off or would the boil harm the flavor of the cider? Just curious. Are there any other ways around killing the wild yeast/potential bacteria.

I would double check the cider label to make sure there are no preservatives or Potassium Sorbate (as I recently saw on a cider label).

Safale-05 has a recommended temp range of 59* to 75* (should be on the packet). The pitching temp recommended by the mnfctr is 68*. After sprinkling on the surface the mnfctr suggests after 30 minutes aerating (mix) the yeast into the the wort. Safale-05 is good for 24 months from the production date on the packet.

Unlike wine must or beer wort, apple cider tends to be low in yeast nutrients ... add some DAP and/or Fermax/energizer type product.

Sounds like preservatives in the cider. If that's the case, there's nothing you can do. Fresh, unpasteurized is the best way to go.

I wouldn't recommend boiling. You'll probably lose a bunch of aromas and get a "cooked" flavor. Not to mention this will cause issues with the pectic enzymes. Upshot: you're cider will never clear. Give it a shot if you want, though, you might like the results. I've played around a good amount with heat, sometimes to good ends and sometimes not.

Can Potassium Sorbate or other preservatives be boiled out?

I'm getting ready to do my first batch of cider.

Can Potassium Sorbate or other preservatives be boiled out?

Sodium and Potassium Metabisulfites can be aerated out.
This is what is done when you make "skeeter pee" (a type of all-lemon wine) which uses store bought, bottled lemon juice which contains metabisulfite.

Removing sulfites involves repeated aeration and air exposure in a bucket or other open top vessel with a large air-surface area ... basically; vigorous stirring, 4 or 5 times a day for 2 days in (ideally) a cool'ish environment.

Potassium Sorbate is not very practical to remove ... although it *can* be done ... ugly ... impractical ... but possible.

Jack Keller notes a method of potassium sorbate removal that involves making a very strong starter of *bread* yeast and adding that to your must ... then, after it’s fermented out it will have consumed the pot sorbate ... rack and re-add a starter made from the (wine) yeast you had intended to use.

Those who have tried it used a starter and then added a teaspoon or two of bakers yeast for three additions, each 8 hours apart to the must to get the removal process started.

Yikes. I think I'll just head up to the local orchard and pick up 4 gal of cider, then grab a gal of water and a 2# of maple syrup and just do a boil.

Yikes. I think I'll just head up to the local orchard and pick up 4 gal of cider, then grab a gal of water and a 2# of maple syrup and just do a boil.

Don't add water for heaven's sake. You want 100% juice. No need to boil either, just add a healthy batch of yeast. Not sure if a mere two pounds of maple syrup will add much flavor, but it won't hurt.

Back