Adding Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunther

Reaction score
Welll my first batch of beer (ale) Honey Ale is coming along quite nicely. 2 weeks bottle conditioning and carbonation is good. I took my fourth sample 17 days out and gave it a shot of honey and mixed it into the beer. A little too sweet but man did it put a serious honey taste to the brew. The initial frutiness was replaced with a honey taste and the bitterness from the hops was tempered.
Could you add honey to the bottling phase in adddition or as a replacement to the priming sugar? I understand yeast will eat up all the sugar in honey but would the yeast ultimately stall if contained in a bottle? Looking for a way to bring out a real honey taste.

Sure, you can. Not sure what the exact conversion between priming sugar and honey would be. The only way the yeast will stall is if they run out of sugar to ferment or the alcohol content is too high, assuming sanitized conditions.

Back