CaraRed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
Anybody used CaraRed in a malt bill?
I used two pounds with some mid range crystal and about 9# of base malt, We finally acheived a real Red beer putting comercial versions like killians and murphys to shame.

good to hear that you got a real red. i've trying to rework my Irish Red to create a real red hue to it. I've gotten close but just not where i want it, and the next attempt was going to be to use some CaraRed.

any pics of the beer?

I'm brewing up a batch of red in a week with 1/2 lb. CaraRed in it.
I tried to get it from the LHBS, and was told to use 20L crystal instead. I bought the CaraRed on-line. I figured that the original recipe called for it, why deviate first time out ?

I'm brewing up a batch of red in a week with 1/2 lb. CaraRed in it.
I tried to get it from the LHBS, and was told to use 20L crystal instead. I bought the CaraRed on-line. I figured that the original recipe called for it, why deviate first time out ?

My first Irish Red was combo of 20L and 40L.. didnt get quite red. I revised it again and went all 20L.. still not red, but made a good amber. I'd definitely be curious to see what the 1/2lb CaraRed does for you.

Crystal wont do it.. At best it may look like a killians, but really that is not red. CaraRed is the way to go at least 1 pound, 2 is better and it gives it good mouthfeel like a red should have.

I would love to see a pic of someone brew with some CaraRed in it if anyone has one they are willing to share.

I've been thinking of cutting my crystal down to half a pound and going with a 1/2 to 1lb of carared on the next brew with maybe 2oz of roasted barley.

Anybody used CaraRed in a malt bill?
I used two pounds with some mid range crystal and about 9# of base malt, We finally acheived a real Red beer putting comercial versions like killians and murphys to shame.

Mine posting the exact grain bill/recipe? I'm imagining 8 oz. Crystal 40, 2 lb. CaraRed, and 9 lb. Maris Otter. How far off am I?

Carared is great in an amber at about 15-20% of the total grist. I never really liked ambers til I started using carared.

Redish grains:

Munich
Vienna
Wheat

Small amounts of roasted barley or higher crystal malts, too.

The lower crystals do not impart any red hue at all, in my experience.

Back