Possible Cider problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

club206

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just making one of my first batches of cider and had a question or two to see how much trouble I am in... :)

I am brewing a batch of UV Pasteurized Cider picked up at the local farm. It was cold when purchased and it was at room temperature for a 3 days when they plastic jugs started to expand a lot - guessing due to wild yeasts and temperature. I then made the recipe when cider was at room temperature and definitely had wild yeast in there going crazy.

Is this a problem?

I made the following recipe -

5 Gallons of fresh cider
2 pounds of light brown sugar - stirred in
one pound of raisins - placed on top
Yeast is Lavlin v1116

Put the above in a 5 gallon better bottle and the yeast is going crazy - has expanded into my blow off topper a few times and had to clean out. This was made on Thursday night so this is going for 3 days plus.

Any thoughts if this will be good to drink? Any problems you could foresee?

Thanks all!

I let the wild yeast have at it last time and it turned out to be a really nice cloudy farmhouse style cider. Like JK Scrumpy.
Hard to duplicate this though, It turns out different every time, different blend of apples and yeast will yield different results.

could turn out great! wait and see. i would just be aware that some of the tricks you can use easily with a well behaved domesticated yeast are not as simple with wild yeasts, like clearing by cold crashing, stopping fermentation by chilling, and pasteurizing (i once used a pasteurization time/temp that works fine with ale yeast and the wild yeast shrugged it off and kept fermenting).

Back