Rubbermaid Cooler Hlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucknut

Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering what is the best way to Ground a 2000w element in a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler? I have seen a few different ways. Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks

Nobody ah. I was just wondering who has done it and how they did it. Just want to make sure i am doing it correctly.

Instead of a cooler I would recommend using a HDPE barrel. The walls are very thick and it is very easy to install a bulkhead or element. They also hold heat much better than SS. They come in many sizes from 8 gal to 55 gal.
Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Bar...ultDomain_0&hash=item2c6072a6fc#ht_500wt_1202
I use a 55 gallon version for my mash tun. It is very heavy duty.

Do they hold heat better than a cooler though? That is the real question.

No, I don't think a HDPE barrel will hold heat better than a cooler. But, they will hold heat better than a SS vessel. The OP is building an electric HLT and the differences in electric utilization would be minimal between a cooler and a HDPE barrel.

Back