Daily dose of hops at bedtime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetallHed

Reaction score
Being a third shifter I use a daily supplement to aid in sleep. Well I bought a new kind of supplement specifically because it has hops as an ingredient... I thought it was pretty cool.

IMAG0070.jpg

I'd be interested to know if you get any hoppy burps after taking that pill.

Pretty wild, and to think I always though it was the beer itself that made me sleepy, not the hops.

Beer always works just fine for me. I never have trouble sleeping after a few cold ones.

Beer always works just fine for me. I never have trouble sleeping after a few cold ones.

Yeah, when I worked 3rd shift I took my hops supplement in liquid form. I must say it was weird drinking when most others were getting up to go to work. Going to bed on a warm sunny afternoon was weird too. I hated that shift.

Off topic:
Mad-Dog skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora)!! My favorite plant name!

End plant geek sidenote.

When I was brewing an IPA the other month, I was kind of standing over the kettle, appreciating the aroma of the hops in the kettle, breathing it in. After the brew was done I felt all silly and sleepy.

It works! It's an old-fashioned remedy for sleeplessness.

Just something I pulled up;

Medicinal properties
Hop pickers used to tire easily. This has lead to the reputation that hop has sedative and calming effects. The sedative activity of hop is caused by methylbutenol, which can be present in the hop is formed during digestion. Hop is a central nervous relaxant used to treat insomnia. Hop pillows are often used to induce sleep.
Hop has been used to increase breast milk and calm irritable infants.
Humulone and lupulone have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial activity and help to preserve beer. These components are active especially against gram-negative bacteria. Hop is used for the treatment of infections of the upper digestive tract and wounds.
Hop contains phytoestrogens, which can help to ease menopausal symptoms. The estrogenic activity of hop may cause loss of libido in men.
Hop is also used for controlling diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn's disease.

I read a pdf on organic hops last year that had something in it about giving the guys that work in the fields a 'downtime' during their shift because the hops made them sleepy...

Apparently, hops are related to pot as well too.

I thought it was amusing... :)

Just something I pulled up;

Medicinal properties
Hop pickers used to tire easily. This has lead to the reputation that hop has sedative and calming effects. The sedative activity of hop is caused by methylbutenol, which can be present in the hop is formed during digestion. Hop is a central nervous relaxant used to treat insomnia. Hop pillows are often used to induce sleep.
Hop has been used to increase breast milk and calm irritable infants.
Humulone and lupulone have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial activity and help to preserve beer. These components are active especially against gram-negative bacteria. Hop is used for the treatment of infections of the upper digestive tract and wounds.
Hop contains phytoestrogens, which can help to ease menopausal symptoms. The estrogenic activity of hop may cause loss of libido in men.
Hop is also used for controlling diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn's disease.

showing this to the wife :)

Back