What would you call this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebird

Reaction score
My buddy, "Mr. Jim", made this a few years ago. Good brew:

5 lb Breiss 2 row pale
1 lb flaked maize
1 lb rice syrup solids

1 oz hallertau bittering, 1/2 oz Saaz finishing hops.

Step mash the malt and maize at 122 and 158 for 20 min and 1 hr; mash out 10 min at 170, sparged w/ grain bed at 150; add the hallertau at boil, RSS at 15 min remaining, Saaz at 5 min remaining...

He used white labs german lager yeast, aged at 50 for 2 months, then a diacetyl rest at 60 deg. for a couple days, then 4 more months at 50 deg. OG was 1028, fg 1009 I think. "lawnmower beer" he called it; or "american light".

Now my question: I don't have a spare fridge. Me and my buddies made the same stuff with his procedures but used Danstar Nottingham dry yeast and aged it at 70* (in my bathroom closet). Primary 3 weeks and secondaried for 6 or 7 weeks.

sure is good stuff, but, what did we make?

With the corn and/or rice low OG & mild hops he pretty much made a bud/miller light type of beer. Being home brew I'm sure it was better tasting than theirs though.

Lawnmower Beer is right...

What you made there was 3.5% "Bud Light". Glad you enjoy it!

:drunk:

Spyk'd said:
What you made there was 3.5% "Bud Light".

with ale yeast at ale temps tho???? :confused:

it does get kudos from the "I don't like dark beer" / "I don't like homebrew" crowd.

has good foam but NO body.

and low alc. so you can have a couple liters on a hot day (after the yard work is done and the dangerous stuff like weedeaters are put away!!! ) and still be coherent. and not so full you can't eat a 24 oz ribeye still.

hey... I think I have a slogan for it... it's Less Filling... and tastes Great!

<scurrying off to copyright office>

I was being somewhat facetious in my last comment, but yeah the Nottingham Dry would lend some "lageryness" to the water...er...brew...I'm not surprised you can drink a few (liters) and still feel fine...

...to ammend my post, you made "Bud Light Ale".:p

Oops - I didn't read your last paragraph... What did you make :eek:. I agree, bud light ale. But if it tastes good there ya have it. Could increase your two-row to get it a bit higher of an ABV. However, since you aren't using lager yeast you let it sit / ferment longer than necessary with ale yeast. Not that it hurt it but could be done in 3-4 week time window as well...

david_42 said:
There really is a style called "American-style Light Ale" and you nailed it.

Uh... no, there's not... but if you look at BJCP Category 6. Light Hybrid Beer there is 6A. Cream Ale which is the closest to what he made... he was a little low on OG and just a tad high on hops (maybe... with a higher OG then it would be "perfect") but all in all it's a Cream Ale...

I'd say bump up the Pale by 1 lb. and the maize and rice solids by 1/2 lb each and you should be bang on in the middle of this style

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category6.html#style6A

The BJCP is your FRIEND!!!

:mug:
mikey

Spyk'd said:
I was being somewhat facetious in my last comment, but yeah the Nottingham Dry would lend some "lageryness" to the water...er...brew...I'm not surprised you can drink a few (liters) and still feel fine...

...to ammend my post, you made "Bud Light Ale".:p

ahhhh.... reading your post a few times I figgered it out... dang I'm slow...

bet we'd get in trouble if we called it BLA....

Mykel Obvious said:
I'd say bump up the Pale by 1 lb. and the maize and rice solids by 1/2 lb each and you should be bang on in the middle of this style

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category6.html#style6A

The BJCP is your FRIEND!!!

:mug:
mikey

Whoa! The other AG we've done has 5 lb 2 row 5lb 6 row (Breiss) 2 lb flaked maize and a lb of RSS, 1 oz bittering and 3/4 oz finishing hops... I guess we missed that style in the other direction...

the BJCP is cool... thanks...

desertBrew said:
However, since you aren't using lager yeast you let it sit / ferment longer than necessary with ale yeast. Not that it hurt it but could be done in 3-4 week time window as well...

understood. long times weren't intentional, just out of necessity.

Surprisingly, it's a tad hoppier than I'd like. next time gonna trim them back just a tad, and also add a 1/2 lb of crystal 120L (because I got some left over) and who knows what else... heh heh...

I was refering to the Brewer's Association 2006 style guide, not the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP)'s guide which is less complete, more trendy and mainly focused on contests.

freebird said:
...bet we'd get in trouble if we called it BLA....

LOL, touche my friend, touche!:p

Although, it wouldn't be hard to call it just that!:D

Latest posts

Back