Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hadn't really thought about smoking meat, but now that i think about it, i DO have a brisket in the freezer. we texans love our smoked brisket :D

RoughandReadyRanch said:
Alright, so I was planning on having duck on Christmas eve so this makes my life a ton easier. Smoke the duck and the fatty for christmas day. What wood did you go with. I am thinking maybe cherry for the duck. Temp? Time?

I went with hickory and cherry. I wouldn't overdue the cherry (just my preference).

Temp is tough to say because I used my large pit and I don't take temps in it. I would say it runs between 250-300 though and i try to blast it with heavy smoke since the roasting time is relatively short.

If memory serves me right... It was only about a hour or so... Or slightly longer. I just went with as much smoke as I could throw at them until the internal temp was right.

image-201657682.jpg

And when you're done eating them... You take every shred of leftover carcass, toss it in a large pot with just enough water to completely cover everything and then boil it for a couple hours.

Strain it through a fine strainer (something like cheesecloth) and then simmer it in a smaller pot for a while longer.

Remove from heat and refrigerate.

Next day.... Skim the smoked duck fat off the top.... for the WIN.

Put a dollop a' that stuff on your homefries while you're cookin em and prep for a flock of chicks to toss their panties at you Tom Jones style.

If straight duck fat has that effect, I wonder what they would do for me with this recipe:

http://honest-food.net/2011/03/15/duck-fat-hollandaise/

Also, he has a great write up on smoking duck. He has a great blog in general. http://honest-food.net/2011/12/27/how-to-make-smoked-duck/

Smoking about 5 lbs of homemade Andouille tomorrow, but that duck looks GREAT!

I've harvested duck fat in the past and deep fried some potatoes in it and made some fantastic poutine. Thumbs up to Canada!

Another 16lbs pork butt at the station tomorrow. The guys can't get enough.
I'll prob do another wet rub and dry rub again.

Cape Brewing said:
And when you're done eating them... You take every shred of leftover carcass, toss it in a large pot with just enough water to completely cover everything and then boil it for a couple hours.

Strain it through a fine strainer (something like cheesecloth) and then simmer it in a smaller pot for a while longer.

Remove from heat and refrigerate.

Next day.... Skim the smoked duck fat off the top.... for the WIN.

Put a dollop a' that stuff on your homefries while you're cookin em and prep for a flock of chicks to toss their panties at you Tom Jones style.

Amazeballs

I'm curious if anyone here makes their own bacon. I just saw episode 2 of Chop & Brew and all I can think about is making me some yummy yummy bacon.

Not the smoker, but I did fire up the kettle grill in sub-freezing temps with snow on the way so I could grill two brats, two kielbasa and a ton of veg.

1475912_10202081485272022_1497988730_n.jpg

Not the smoker, but I did fire up the kettle grill in sub-freezing temps with snow on the way so I could grill two brats, two kielbasa and a ton of veg.

Nothing beats grilled veggies. I like vegetables in many ways, but grilled are far better than anything else!

We experimented a lot with grilling veggies over the summer. Asparagus, zucchini/squash, peppers and onions, Brussels sprouts, beets, and carrots were definite winners on the grill. I tried to find baby bok choy to grill last night, but no luck.

I'm curious if anyone here makes their own bacon. I just saw episode 2 of Chop & Brew and all I can think about is making me some yummy yummy bacon.

I have made it a few times and after we got the kinks worked out of the first batch (way to salty), the rest have been amazing. We rough cut everything but a slicer is key I think. Was going to get one for christmas but have yet to settle on a slicer.

We experimented a lot with grilling veggies over the summer. Asparagus, zucchini/squash, peppers and onions, Brussels sprouts, beets, and carrots were definite winners on the grill. I tried to find baby bok choy to grill last night, but no luck.

Green beans are friggin awesome on the grill.

I like doing carrots with butter, bourbon and maple syrup and wrap them in foil... Mmmm.

I've got a tiny little 3# boneless butt on the grill. Put it on this morning before noon, should be done for dinner. Nasty rain and windy cold outside. Didn't want to jack with a long cook and was hankerin for some pulled pork tonight.

I smoked a bunch of ribs last weekend in single digit temps on a windy day. I was impressed at how well my UDS maintained temps. I think the frigid conditions bothered me more than the smoker.

TrainSafe said:

I do fairly regularly. I don't go crazy with curing and only do salt, sugar, pink salt and sometimes maple syrup but more often then not, I leave the syrup out.

I have a digital electric smoker which makes making bacon dramatically easier. I "cold"smoke my bacon for 14-16 hours at maybe 125 and then jack the smoker up to 225, load up with wood chips and go until internal temp is 185.

I have found that if you don't do that last step (bring to 185), no matter how I cook it, it is rubbery.

Leave the skin on during the entire process and then once has cooled a bit coming out of the smoker, just peel the akin off in one big piece.

Well, my first disappointment. Rest of guys enjoyed it, but personally I thought it was dry. We got called out this afternoon and I couldn't babysit it. Turned out ok, but definitely not my best.
I think it cooked a few hours too long.

image-2822974613.jpg

ForumRunner_20131215_193959.jpg

Five pounds of summer sausage hanging around a small picnic ham while a four pound slab of bacon drips merrily over it all.

Definitely smoking this weekend. Supposed to hit 60 here.

Put two Boston butts In the pit last night for pulled pork today. Now I gotta potato rolls!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Do holidays count as the weekend? 2.5# bone in prime rib (S&P, garlic powder), reverse seared, 225° until an IT of 117°, removed the meat, added a few # of charcoal, ramped the cooker to nuclear, returned roast to sear for maybe 10 minutes.

Christmas Prime Rib.jpg

Christmas Prime Rib 2.jpg

Christmas Prime Rib 3.jpg

Back