Tragedy on Brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwood

Reaction score
This evening a carboy full of soapy water ripped free from its handle, resulting in a tragic accident. Not only was the brewer's foot crushed during the impact, but the entire vessel shattered.

Witnesses claim that this was not an unfitting conclusion to the brewday, as far more than the usual number of mishaps had occurred. Reports of lost items, incorrect parts being provided by seemingly credible retailers, and each of the brewer's five propane lines being clogged permeated the area.

One nearby onlooker, an expecting [holiday] oatmeal stout with a happy sg of 1.066, was shocked at the incident, explaining that the shattered carboy was to be home to a pale ale, and that they had plans to ferment together only a few days from now.

The handle was held for questioning but shortly thereafter released, as it is believed that there was no foul play. The brewer declined comment.

Despite the tragedy of the day's events, at least the shattered carboy was not full of beer, nor beer-to-be. The brewing of pale ale later this week will take place as planned, though the event will also focus on raising awareness of carboy handle thumb screws in hopes that in the future, needless tragedies such as this may be avoided.

Condolences and/or donations to the may be PM'ed.

2012-11-11_17-51-38_945-57215.jpg

This evening a carboy full of soapy water ripped free from its handle, resulting in a tragic accident. Not only was the brewer's foot crushed during the impact, but the entire vessel shattered.

Witnesses claim that this was not an unfitting conclusion to the brewday, as far more than the usual number of mishaps had occurred. Reports of lost items, incorrect parts being provided by seemingly credible retailers, and each of the brewer's five propane lines being clogged permeated the area.

One nearby onlooker, an expecting [holiday] oatmeal stout with a happy sg of 1.066, was shocked at the incident, explaining that the shattered carboy was to be home to a pale ale, and that they had plans to ferment together only a few days from now.

The handle was held for questioning but shortly thereafter released, as it is believed that there was no foul play. The brewer declined comment.

Despite the tragedy of the day's events, at least the shattered carboy was not full of beer, nor beer-to-be. The brewing of pale ale later this week will take place as planned, though the event will also focus on raising awareness of carboy handle thumb screws in hopes that in the future, needless tragedies such as this may be avoided.

Condolences and/or donations to the may be PM'ed.

The handle is not to be used for carrying full carboys, only empty ones.

I think the brewer should be put on probation(no brewing) for 6 months, due to neglect using equipment not designed for it's intended use.

That sucks, man. Glad no one was hurt. And FWIW, milk crates will keep this from happening again. Cheers!

About 3 months ago I was afraid this would happen to me, so I sold 10 glass carboys and replaced them with plastic better bottles. I just love picking up the empties with one hand. Highly recommended.

I was sanitizing a glass carboy to transfer my cooled wort into and I set it down on my concrete patio, I guess at the incorrect angle (using a carboy hauler) and the thing just popped and shattered. This scarred the s*** out of me, so I don't use glass anymore.

I was left cleaning up 2 foot long shards of glass that could of easily hurt me, my dog, or my girlfriend had they been around when it shattered. Usually, my girlfriend avoids brew days like the plague but my dog is usually right there with me.

Oh well. Now I know.

I've been carrying them around full with these as long as I can remember- my family made wine growing up.

No one ever told me they were for empties only, and at that point, why buy a handle just for carrying empty vessels? Seems like a lot of work- twisting and untwisting the screw- for something that really isn't that heavy without liquid in it.

I will say, of the countless times I've moved full carboys with these, I just tighten the screw all the way and I've never had any slippage. This one just popped off. I am sure of this, because I was left holding a handle and staring at shards.

If the carboys won't actually support the weight of water at the neck when full, now that's another issue. Any comments on that? Has anyone actually had the glass break first in this scenario?

If the carboys won't actually support the weight of water at the neck when full, now that's another issue. Any comments on that? Has anyone actually had the glass break first in this scenario?

That's usually what happens.

That sucks, man. Glad no one was hurt.
I think it landed on his foot! 5 gallons of water and the glass carboy on a foot would definitely qualify as "hurt" in my book!

Sorry for the loss man.
I use plastic buckets for the most part unless clarifying. I do miss seeing the activity first hand but the plastic bucket is durable and at eight gallons, I don't loose beer to blowoff.

Not that an eight gallon bucket of water wouldn't hurt very bad if it fell on a foot though.

Haha, I'm not sure if I should be laughing or +1ing this or offering my condolences.

Now I'm kind of rethinking my processes. I've been moving full glass carboys with these things for the last two years. Scary.

Oh well. Now I know.

I've been carrying them around full with these as long as I can remember- my family made wine growing up.

No one ever told me they were for empties only, and at that point, why buy a handle just for carrying empty vessels? Seems like a lot of work- twisting and untwisting the screw- for something that really isn't that heavy without liquid in it.

I will say, of the countless times I've moved full carboys with these, I just tighten the screw all the way and I've never had any slippage. This one just popped off. I am sure of this, because I was left holding a handle and staring at shards.

Most people just buy a handle for each carboy and leave them on. Not take them on and off. And yes, the glass usually breaks, not the handle slips off.

Yeah, hauling 25-30g in carboys from a garage to basement got old fast, we switched to fermenting in sanke kegs before this happened on the stairs to one of us. Now we only use carboys for aging with oak chips or some secondary things like that.

Haha, I'm not sure if I should be laughing or +1ing this or offering my condolences.

Why not all three?

It's amazing you weren't seriously cut...

Yes, it's likely because it wasn't very far off the ground to begin with. I was just kind of shuffling along...when it popped off onto my foot, then tipped over and shattered.

I made these back when I used glass carboys - helps with handling and can be inverted for draining.

Cool! Nice solution.

haven't had one shatter yet but i've had one slip through the handle when full and i was just able to catch/pin it against a cabinet softly enough to prevent it from falling/breaking and spilling in the kitchen.

since then ive purchased a few of these:
841277-2.jpg

for my couple carboys that see frequent movement.. they are a little bit of a PITA because they can easily twist and not evenly surround the carboy, but when properly adjusted, they make carrying the carboy much much easier and safer.

good to hear you weren't seriously injured from this, i know there are many other on here that can't say the same for themselves

Back