smack back no activator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheClaw

Reaction score
I just started mashing and I went to start my smack pack and couldn't find the activator to smack. Should I still pitch it and see it unbroken release it into the wort. I also have a dry yeast I could pitch if I need to thanks

I have trouble with the Wyeast Smack Packs too. I'm assuming that's what you used correct? It's hard to find but if you keep pressing it gently you should be able to find it. Once it breaks you'll hear is hissing if you hold it up to your ears. You have to smack it pretty good. You can always repitch later if your original yeast doesn't take.

Must have broke it finally hear hissing and starting to inflate

Bingo! Yeah, I really don't care for those smack packs. I prefer White Labs, just shake it up and pitch after letting it warm up obviously. I know AHS partners with Wyeast on a few of their own recipes, the Green Belt comes to mind, so sometimes it is unavoidable.

Bingo! Yeah, I really don't care for those smack packs. I prefer White Labs, just shake it up and pitch after letting it warm up obviously. I know AHS partners with Wyeast on a few of their own recipes, the Green Belt comes to mind, so sometimes it is unavoidable.

You do know that the Wyeast Smackpack with an unbroken inner pouch is essentially the same as a vial of White Labs don't you? The pouch only contains nutrient to give the yeast a little headstart.

With either one you should be making starters for anything but very small batches or very low gravity beers.

kh54s10 said:
With either one you should be making starters for anything but very small batches or very low gravity beers.

I've had many discussions about the necessity of starters, but I have used wyeast smackpacks almost exclusively and ive found as long as I break them about 4 hrs prior to pitching, they work great. (and for the sake of this thread, yeah sometimes you have to smack the hell out of them before they actually open!!) I have had excellent results with just one smack pack per 5 gallons, and it worked just as advertised. Not saying a starter wouldnt help, but I dont think of it as critically necessary. At one point I used two for a 5 gallon batch for fear that one was underpitching, but noticed no descernable difference in the quality of my brews. Where i noticed the most difference is temperature control (rigged up a swamp cooler) and i saw a reduction in off flavors and improvement in overall quality- but thats a subject for another thread haha.

Back