Bottle Etiquette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchensqueen

Reaction score
When you gift a six pack (or more) of home brew to someone, do you expect to get the bottles back?

I plan on recycling swing-top bottles for my beer and I'd hope that they would come back to me after being consumed, but would it be rude to ask? I'd prefer to not buy new empty bottles (or drink a whole lot more Grolsch than I care to).

I don't ask, I tell. I TELL those I give them to that they need to rinse the bottles immediately and return them. My friends are always happy to do it.

When I give people beer, I tell them I would like the bottles back, and that's it. If I get them back, awesome. If I don't, I don't bring it up, because honestly, its just some bottles. I don't give away bottles that I wouldn't mind never seeing again. Which means I don't gift beer in swingtops. :D

I only give away regular 12 oz bottles. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my other bottles in my own house. More than once I've had to pull them out of the recycling container.

I wouldn't count on getting swing-tops returned. They're pretty cool, and if someone is "gifted" a six pack, they will assume that the bottles are part of the gift. Better off giving a couple of bombers with nice labels.

I have them and rarely use swing-tops but when I do it's for those that are in my "circle of trust". Anyone else gets a capped bottle that I could care less about getting returned. In fact, earlier this year I gave away two cases of said bottles (with product) and even my better half told me not to ask for them back. ;) It's true.

Not rude at all...you spend the time gathering /rinsing / peeling labels / soaking / sanitizing / brewing / filling / capping / conditioning them...you should expect to get them back with a polite request. We swap brews with a couple of other homebrewers and even though we all swap say two a piece, we always wash and return each others bottles (and laugh about 'etiquette' when doing so) .

Meh. I'm not one to actually hand someone a bottle and proceed to say how I want it cleaned and returned. I've hoarded my fair share of bottles though, a few years back before a move I threw out three cases of better than grolsh swing tops and countless twelves. Sometimes my mead misses them...but I get on.
Only give out the bottles you aren't afraid to give up.

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence on this...to me a gift is a gift. I'd rather give 1 22 oz bomber with nice labels and custom cap for a gift than a 6 pack I wanted back. Completely understand wanting them back but IMO its a little less classy.

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence on this...to me a gift is a gift. I'd rather give 1 22 oz bomber with nice labels and custom cap for a gift than a 6 pack I wanted back. Completely understand wanting them back but IMO its a little less classy.

Well, I guess I don't view giving someone some beer to try as in issue where classy comes into play anyways. :p Now, if I'm giving to someone as a gift for an occasion, then i totally see where you're coming from.

I never ask for the bottles back. They are so cheap here and I have so many. Even the swing tops. I have a few left. If I give them to someone they are free to return them if they wish. Otherwise, I won't die regretting my gift.

I don't ask for them back. Then, I also do not give out swing tops unless it's to someone that I know will return them.

I also don't give out 6packs. 4packs are the way to go.

If someone takes the bottles home I don't even ask for them back, it seems tacky to me. Most people throw a bottle straight into the recycle bin anyhow. I wouldn't be using swingtops however. Just buy a case of bombers and call it the cost of brewing. Of course I also stopped cleaning labels off commercial bottles. For the time it takes it seemed like to much of a pain. I'd rather just buy some brand new ones and save the time soaking and getting label glue off.

Most people I gift homebrew to assume I want the bottles back. So after the finish drinking the beers they just bring them back without asking. It's pretty cool.

I don't get the reservation about asking for them back. You did them a favor, the least they can do is return it, so to speak.

Just to beat a dead horse: When you say 'gift' do you mean for a particular occasion? I have given bottles to family members on holidays and of course don't expect them back. However, for an average "Here, have a six pack and tell me what you think" gift my buddies all save there bottles. A couple even save their Goose Island and Sam Adams bottles for me knowing I'll need them.

My 1L swing tops are sacred though

I don't ask for them back but say that if they have no use for them I'd appreciate to get them back and reuse them. If they don't come back, I don't say anything... I just secretly hold a grudge for the rest of time

Just to beat a dead horse: When you say 'gift' do you mean for a particular occasion? I have given bottles to family members on holidays and of course don't expect them back. However, for an average "Here, have a six pack and tell me what you think" gift my buddies all save there bottles. A couple even save their Goose Island and Sam Adams bottles for me knowing I'll need them.

My 1L swing tops are sacred though

I guess I was thinking of both scenarios. So yeah, it would probably be tacky to ask for the bottles back from a Christmas gift or something. But I'm thinking that random beer gifts just because I like you means I can put it out there that that I'd like the bottles to come back.

I don't ask for them back but say that if they have no use for them I'd appreciate to get them back and reuse them. If they don't come back, I don't say anything... I just secretly hold a grudge for the rest of time

Hahahaha love it.

The 1st time you give away beer in a rinsed out and forcecarbed bag-in-the-box wine bag that looks like it will explode if you breath near it, is the last time you ever even need to mention not getting your bottles back.

When you gift a six pack (or more) of home brew to someone, do you expect to get the bottles back?

I plan on recycling swing-top bottles for my beer and I'd hope that they would come back to me after being consumed, but would it be rude to ask? I'd prefer to not buy new empty bottles (or drink a whole lot more Grolsch than I care to).

I casually mention getting the bottles back.

I only give swing tops to fellow brewers or close friends though.

Back