Airlock wasn't sealed for a night...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
I brewed a batch last night and put it in the fermenting vessel and put the airlock in at around 10:30pm. This morning I checked it at around 10:30am and the airlock has slowly started bubbling but I noticed that I didn't snap on the entire top of it. It's a 3-piece. When I noticed it I snapped it back on. I'm assuming this won't cause me any huge problems as it started bubbling but I just wanted to check on here to be sure. Anything I should worry about?

Nothing to worry about, you'll be totally fine. The escaping CO2 will have kept anything bad from getting in.

You should be fine. It sounds like the airlock was partially on so it's doing its job. You just want the bottom of the bell shaped piece to be submerged in your sanitizing solution. Even if it wasn't for a little bit you're still probably fine. This early in fermentation extra oxygen is not a bad thing and any sanitizing solution that got in there won't hurt anything either.

in general you shouldn't worry, if fermentation kicked off as usual, chances are that nothing nasty got in your beer. keep in mind that there's professional breweries around the world that still ferment ales in open vessels. rdwhahb

Cool. The bubbling actually started faster than it normally does for me. Usually it takes closer to 24 hours for the airlock to bubble. This time I checked it 12 hours after pitching and it had started.

Sounds like it was held in place by the fact that co2 was just beginning to release. Good thing you didn't have a blow off situation. Woulda been Polaris missle time...:mug:

I think you'll be fine. I brewed 10 gallons the day after Thanksgiving and couldn't find one of my lids so just covered the bucket with a 10g round rubber maid cooler lid. Definitely not airtight. Took gravity readings from both beers last night and tasted each. They were both the same.. delicious.

Back