We're Finally Going Above Freezing - Let the Brewing Begin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eanmcnulty

Reaction score
Man, I hate the cold. Why do I live in Chicago? We are finally going above freezing, so my first brew is set for tomorrow: a dry stout for St. Patrick's Day. I was going to brew it two weeks ago, but got sick. Now, I am behind. It probably won't be ready for the blessed day. I am just happy to get started.
I brewed 30 batches last year. I brew 2.5 gallon batches x 6 fermenters (hmm, I could buy a couple more I guess...) = I'm shooting for 40 batches this year. That is a lot of experimentation. The excitement is building!

Glad to hear that. It's always exciting when you've been off for a while.

You're beer has a good chance of being ready. I bottle condition and have turned beers around in 3 weeks without feeling like I was rushing it. 2 weeks in the primary, 1 week in the bottle.

Do you bottle or keg?

Cold here too. Was about 8 degrees thursday. The daughter is doing the Polar Plunge to raise money for the Special Olympics. They're going to jump into Lake Ontario at Noon tomorrow.

Hell, I thought it was to cold to brew hahahhaha.

jescholler said:
Glad to hear that. It's always exciting when you've been off for a while.

You're beer has a good chance of being ready. I bottle condition and have turned beers around in 3 weeks without feeling like I was rushing it. 2 weeks in the primary, 1 week in the bottle.

Do you bottle or keg?

I bottle, but I find they are rarely ready after a week.

RukusDM said:
Cold here too. Was about 8 degrees thursday. The daughter is doing the Polar Plunge to raise money for the Special Olympics. They're going to jump into Lake Ontario at Noon tomorrow.

Hell, I thought it was to cold to brew hahahhaha.

That is brave. Have the hot chocolate ready.

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but it was 75 degrees here today. I was going to go for a run, but it was too hot. :p

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but it was 75 degrees here today. I was going to go for a run, but it was too hot. :p

I know talk to my parents hate when the tell me it got down to 50. Damn I wish it was 50 here. Oh Wait should be there in a few days. On a better note my first batch of the year should be ready to bottle in about a week.

Today it was 50 degrees but there was still a little bit of snow on the ground. We brewed a doppelbock and as my friend was walking the carboy full of beer down to the basement he slipped on some ice and dropped the fermenter, shattering it, and losing all the beer. We busted out the Scotch after that.

Be careful out there.

Earlier this week it was -15 when I was driving to work, definitely sick of winter. Today was 35 and it feels like Spring!

Latest posts

Back